1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

baseline in reception!! hows everyone tackling emotional behaviour?....

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by thumbshrew, Sep 11, 2011.

1. I think it is 'Expresses own feelings and emotions' which is a bit different. So if children can talk about what emotions they are feeling eg, wanting mummy, tired, bored etc, they are able to express their feelings. If they just maraud around kicking objects, this is not showing awareness but just 'acting out'. It's their own feelings they have to express, so talking about a character's feelings is useful but doesn't quite hit the spot unless they relate it to their own experiences. You stand a better chance of assessing this point if you listen and watch children in their play, and see how they respond when they are frustrated, annoyed, sad etc. For instance I have a post it note about a little boy from nursery last year. He was playing with friends and suddenly said, "I don't like this game, let's go and play with the blocks."

2. nicky278, I'm not entirely sure what 'emotional 3C' is.
    Do you mean the third scale point of the profile for Emotional Development? If so it is not about identifying emotions, it is about 'expressing needs and feelings in appropriate ways'.
    The sort of things you are looking at then is how they interact with children and adults within the setting, whether they smile, laugh etc when they are relaxed and happy, whether they cry if they are upset, hurt, what they say about how they are feeling, about things at school and at home, whether they can ask for help with their coat, lunch bag, shoes, if they need it, whether they can tell you they need to go to the toilet.
    All of this information is gained in a fairly short period for most children as they work and play in school, through your observations of and interactions with the children, and does not require specially set up activities.
    Of course, if you mean something else with this '3C' reference that I have to say I don't know about, then go with what you were planning.

3. I think the OP may be referring to the new All Wales Baseline assessments that became statutory in Wales this September.

4. 3c:

Identifies own feelings and emotions
    Young children do not always have awareness of the fact that they are experiencing
    different emotional states. This Description of Behaviour is concerned with the
    developmental stage at which such emotions come to personal awareness. For
    instance, they may be happy, sad, excited, nervous, or scared and can recognise
    and express how they feel. This self-awareness is evident when children are able to
    identify and describe their emotions to an adult or another child.
    How, where and when to assess
    Awareness of feelings can be observed in all areas of continuous provision at any time of day, or in focused activity designed to talk about different feelings. The feeling must be identified verbally, in gesture, using puppets, or perhaps in an annotated drawing.
    Examples
    • Mirrors can provide feedback to children in many different ways. In this example, children were trying out various expressions denoting a range of emotions. The mirror activity was about more than making faces, owing to the fact that children were articulating the feeling associated with each expression with which they were experimenting.
    • Jess, Ieuan and Gareth sat with Mrs Williams who had just read them a story about an owl. Jess said “I am scared in my bedroom. I hear noises and shout my Dad.” She had identified experiencing a sense of fear and was able to articulate this feeling, reminded by the emotion felt in listening to the story.

I also find this one hard to assess. Do you have the Faithe the Fairy resource in your LEA? Probably some starting points here.