1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baseline for an EAL child

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by LAUryn9824, May 7, 2019.

1. LAUryn9824

LAUryn9824 New commenter

Hiya,
    I'm doing a baseline for a child that has recently started at my setting, the child has English as an additional language. I have pretty much completed the baseline but struggling with C+L development, especially speaking. The child is such a confident speaker but in their home language, so I am not sure on what stage the child is at. This is the first EAL child within our setting so all very new.
    I am booked to go on an EAL course however, it is at the end of June and do need to get this done so any help would be much appreciated.

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Well the good news is that if they are confident in their home language, they will soon learn English.
    Do you have a communication profile, or ECAT materials you can use with the parents to get a good sense of their home language?
    I'm assuming it's a nursery? If it's reception then the ELG must be assessed in English for CL