1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baseline 2016

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Bond231, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Bond231

Bond231 New commenter

Hello all!

Just having a minor panic about baseline for September 2016. I can't seem to find anywhere what the actual legal requirements are. I work in an infant school and we didn't complete one last year. It seems that this is only about measuring to KS2, which we don't have.

If we do it I assume we'll use Early Excellence but am finding it difficult to find how to sign up.

Thanks!

2. curtism

curtism New commenter

I don't believe using one of the 3 official baseline providers is a legal requirement, particularly in your case in an infant school, but it is the only measure of progress recognised by DfE statisticians. I completed the Early Excellence baseline and was presented with a number for each child. I have retained said numbers but have no idea what to do with them - nor does anyone else. Nobody has worked out how this number maps onto KS2 results - I think somebody is hoping that someone will have made a link between this baseline number and the result they get in their Y6 SAT before the first links have to be made, presumably in 6 years time. At the moment, NOBODY KNOWS! So don't panic. I am in an infant school too and am sure we could have spent the ENORMOUS baseline costs on something more profitable, which would directly have benefited the children.
    More information on EE if you go onto their website. You need to attend a day of training in order to sign up.