1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Base line assessment

Discussion in 'Music' started by Devon-Rik, Jul 19, 2012.

1. I want to give my incoming Y7 a listening assessment to get a snap shot of their listening ability - what questions would you ask and which piece/s of music would you base it on?

2. I want to give my incoming Y7 a listening assessment to get a snap shot of their listening ability - what questions would you ask and which piece/s of music would you base it on?

3. bod99

bod99 New commenter

Could you use some of the ABRSM listening tests for grade exams? I have lots of listening quizzes but they're for interactive voting devices.

4. And there I was thinking that you were asking how to check if they could read F Clef notation.

5. You should concentrate on the musical elements. Get them to work out which bits are high/low, which bits are fast/slow, which bits are loud/soft and so on. To determine the "more able", you could add in additional questions such as major or minor etc.

I would recommend just making up your own simple tune on the piano, then adapting it each time so the kids can play "spot the difference". It's much easier than faffing on with a CD.

Having said that however, I have used the opening to John Williams' Jurassic Park theme for a similar purpose. It works amazingly well as, in the first minute or so, you have obvious contrasts of almost all the musical elements. The kids can also get bonus points for recognising instruments or naming the composer! It's also something I never get tired of listening to. [​IMG]