1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Base Jumping Risk Assessment for Year 6 Primary Children

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ERU, Jul 16, 2012.

1. ERU

ERU New commenter

Hello,

I've just bought everything needed for basejumping for personal use.

However, myself and other staff are taking 20 Year 6 children big wall climbing next week and I was considering bringing the base
    jumping kit for for staff. I'd also like to give the children a go, and
    wondered if others have done this with this age range (year 6 = 10+).

Anyone got a risk assessment/ advice?

My concern is worst case scenario a child plummets to their death.

Should I just keep it for staff?

Advice appreciated...

2. ERU

ERU New commenter

Hello,

I've just bought everything needed for basejumping for personal use.

However, myself and other staff are taking 20 Year 6 children big wall climbing next week and I was considering bringing the base
    jumping kit for for staff. I'd also like to give the children a go, and
    wondered if others have done this with this age range (year 6 = 10+).

Anyone got a risk assessment/ advice?

My concern is worst case scenario a child plummets to their death.

Should I just keep it for staff?

Advice appreciated...

3. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

yep. That was my first thought when I saw 'base jumping'. Why not find a nice tea shop and buy them scones and squash instead?

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Before you even look for a risk assessment, I'd ask your HT if they would be happy for you to do this with children. You HT is likely to ask about what qualifications you have to teach base jumping, what kind of safety checks and testing the equipment has undergone, and about insurance implications.
    Our year 6s carry out a number of adventurous activities, but these are always at a PGL centre with qualified staff, thorough safety checks etc. A teacher sharing their hobby with children is a completely different situation.
    There's also the parents' perspective to consider. Presumably, they have already filled in consent forms for children to go wall climbing. Would you inform them that base jumping will also be on offer? I think that you'd need to ask permission specfically for it.
    On the whole, it's probably easier to leave the kit at home and ask if any of the staff would like to try base jumping with you during the summer holidays.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Base jumping - you mean jumping off a cliff with a parachute?
    You can buy a kit for that?
    Does your insurance cover that?

6. Wind up??

7. ERU

ERU New commenter

It always amazes me how people feel the need to comment on something they don't understand anything about? Move with the times ... our 'children of tomorrow' want and need to be stimulated. Our job is to therefore 'prepare' them for the future in any way we can.

8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Perhaps base jumping isn't exactly the best preparation for the future though!

9. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

This is indeed a grave matter.

10. Well I suppose if they're dying to have a go...

11. This is a joke right? Or am I thinking of a different kind of base jumping. I'm not sure what else it could be but I think letting 11 year olds jump from a great height in a flying squirrel costume is a silly idea [​IMG]

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

If it is binary, then give it a go. I would steer clear of duodecimal at that age though.

13. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Oh dear ...

14. manic28

manic28 New commenter

flagged

15. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

Oh ERU! This thread has kept me entertained for so many weeks. Please don't let it drop ( genuinely, no pun intended this time). I was delighted to see it up and running again. I think that you should devise a statutory primary school PE curriculum. Hopefully, by the time they reach me in Y5, my class size of 35 will be greatly reduced. I might even have time to do some extreme sports myself.