1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Barry Hines, creator of Kes, dies aged 76

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jesmond12, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Barry Hines, the Yorkshire author who wrote the novel on which Ken Loach's film Kes was based, has died aged 76.

The news was announced on Twitter by the poet Ian McMillan and subsequently confirmed by a friend of the author.

Born in a mining village near Barnsley, Hines also wrote Threads, a 1984 BBC film that dramatised the effects of a nuclear strike on Sheffield.

Hines, who collaborated with Loach on a number of other projects, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 2009.

Hines, who was born in Hoyland Common in 1939, left school without qualifications but later returned to complete his education.

He went on to become a teacher before turning to writing and publishing his first novel, The Blinder, in 1966. His second novel - A Kestrel for a Knave - about a young working-class boy named Billy who finds and trains a kestrel, was published in 1968 and filmed the following year.

Who could forget that film?

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Wonderful book, wonderful film, brilliant writer.

RIP.

cissy3 likes this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

[​IMG]

Oh yes! He scores at 7min 10secs :)

cissy3 and ValentinoRossi like this.
  4. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Sad news. I met him once. Lovely and humble man with wicked sense of humour. 'Kes' was one of the first school plays I produced.

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I loved Kes. We went on a school trip to see it at the Odeon in town circa 1975.

RIP.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My Dad (a PE teacher) always maintained that somebody in charge of producing the Kes film went to Loughborough PE College, like my Dad did. When it came to clothing the actor Brian Glover as an incompetent PE Teacher they deliberately put a Carnegie (Leeds) PE College badge on his tracksuit to take a swipe at one of Loughborough's main rivals. It's the discus thrower logo on Glover's right shoulder.

Anecdotes aside, it was a great story and a thoroughly moving classic film - I've always liked it. Thanks for your work Barry Hines.

ValentinoRossi, cissy3 and lindenlea like this.
  7. George_Randle

George_Randle Senior commenter

I'm saddened to hear this news, he was a gifted writer. A Kestrel For A Knave is a real classic.

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Great book, great film- makes me nostalgic for my birthplace- so evocative.

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I went to see Kes when it first came out. I was a 14 year old Grammar School girl and was horrified that those kids had their life all mapped out for them with no choice at all. I saw it again many years later and was struck by the fact that they all had a guaranteed job to go to which was no longer the case. Changing times but such a sad film, such a sad ending.