1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Barnaby bear (year1)- starting point.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by winfieldv, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Hi I was wondering if anyone would be able to help.

I am a PGCE student on my final placement with a year one class, I've only had experience with KS2 before now and I am struggling with pitching my lessons at the correct level. I am also being observed this week on a lesson about transport and unsure whether to stick with the transport the children use daily, and are familiar with, or whether to include other forms such as planes and ferrys.

The topic is linked in with Barnaby bear who is going to be in China for the first week so need to discuss planes eventually. I was thinking about getting the children to create little booklets including the forms of transport with a suggestion of when they would use each form of transport, basically to assess what they already know. I am really not sure if this is appropriate for year 1 or whether focussing on planes would be better and increase the amount they learn in the lesson.

Thank you in advance for anyone that helps.

2. thepinkrachael

thepinkrachael New commenter

We covered transport briefly earlier in the year and started by doing lots of talking about transport they had used. Most of them (once we had explained what the word transport meant) could name several types, buses, cars, trains, planes etc. and went on to draw/paint the methods of transport they knew and label them with the name and where they might go on them.Maybe start with one lesson similar to this/simple booklets to assess and check they will understand the planes content, but then move onto it?
    Most children have either been on a plane, or at least seen them flying overhead, and will be aware of them in some basic way, so I wouldn't spend too much time on background unless it will be relevant or you think they don't know enough about other forms that they need to.
    you could always do some talking as aclass about transport they know and where it might go/when we might use it, group posters showing what they know in relation to this and finish the lesson with some discussion or something similar (I don't know what it is about planes you plan to do!) to get them started on planes to show where you will be taking it next? Maybe based on photos or videos of planes?

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

What do you want the children to learn from your lesson? What is it about transport that you want the children to learn? Start from your learning objective and then work out what you will teach rather than the other way around.

If you want to assess what the children already know about transport, I would start by getting the children to write as many types of transport as they can think of on mini whiteboards, and then ask for ideas to write up on the board. You should be able to fill the board with ideas as Year 1s can be very creative - I would expect things like "spaceship", ""Tardis", "magic carpet", etc as well as "car", "bike", "plane". You could then discuss who might use a particular type of transport and where they might travel to on it. I might use that information to split the types of transport into real and imaginary, so as to focus on real types of transport for the remainder of the lesson (or I might not bother, depending what my learning objective was).

In terms of the rest of the lesson, you could do all sorts of things. Using your little booklets idea, would you want them to write where they have been on a particular type of transport, or where they could go? I would probably ask them to write where they have been, as it keeps the ideas more practical. You could give them a selection of types of transport, possibly pictures to cut out and stick in, or to draw a picture of, and then to label and write where they have been using that transport. Anyone who finishes could choose more types to draw, label and write about. If a child hasn't used a particular type of transport, when he's finished cutting/drawing, labelling and writing about the ones he has used, could find a child who has used that transport and ask him where he went on it, which he could then write down.

Just off the top of my head, but hope it helps!

4. Ive organised the learning objective now and am going to start from there as you have suggested. Ive been going over a few ideas this afternoon and have managed to write up my lesson plan. There is so much I would love to do with them but since the class is 100%EAL the pace of the lesson is often a little slower than a 'usual' classroom and I am finding it difficult to gauge the timings for activities.
    Thank you again for responding.