1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Barking mad political correctness!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by David Getling, Oct 26, 2017.

1. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Arguably pupils from poor backgrounds who went to grammars have more of an advantage than students from a rich family at some comprehensives. It's very hard to judge-X and Y both grew up in households earning £40 K, but X's parents read to her, took her on trips, supported her to study and Y's didn't...L and M both went to the same school, but L had a brilliant English teacher throughout, while M was in noisy classes with an uninspiring teacher; he also had a hearing issue so struggled a lot.
    In an ideal world everyone would have the same support/opportunities, but they don't and it's very hard to try to assess how much 'background' had an impact.

2. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

Do parents from rich families generally send them to comprehensives....I doubt it. Even if they did , they are more likely to pay (becaus they can afford to) for private tuition if their child is falling behind than a poorer family, surely.

3. hs9981

hs9981 Occasional commenter

15 years time. They'll still be talking about HS2 then! Some countries talk, others DO.

4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Gale, your question about rich families reminded me of one very peculiar man. He was a self made millionaire and sent his kids to a state school. While he was very happy to pay for things like riding lessons he absolutely would not pay for private tuition, even though his kids clearly needed it. His attitude was that he had paid his taxes for his kids' education, so he wasn't going to pay for it again. I do wonder if he would have taken the same attitude if they needed medical treatment.

5. Saf114

Saf114 New commenter

This is not a new strategy ... during the days of the tripartite system the 11-plus results were adjusted in favour of boys because girls out-performed them at that age and they wanted to balance the boy/girl ratio at grammar schools.

Coursework was introduced to GCSEs in favour of girls because they performed better in coursework than in final exams, again to redress the balance. Since coursework has been removed from most courses, boys are performing better.

When I was at university, I met a Cambridge student at an enrichment activity who got into Cambridge University with two EEs. I was astounded until he said his father was an executive in the Farari car company, and had some sponsorship arrangement with the university.

Equality does not always mean treating everyone the same; sometimes it means treating people differently. If the efforts of an advantaged student who achieves A grades can be considered equal to the efforts of a B grade student who achieved this in adverse circumstances, i.e. the best students from the independent sector and the best students from the state sector gaining access to the best universities, then this may contribute to improving equality, especially if their university outcomes are similar.