1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Barium enema

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Greenteaaddict, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Anyone had one and could possibly offer some words of comfort? I am having one on Monday, the prep starts tomorrow with a low residue diet, no food and just liquids on Sunday along with very strong laxatives. I am trying not to think about it too much but I am feeling pretty scared. Stupidly I googled and have read horror stories. [​IMG]

2. I've never had a barium enema but I have had a colonoscopy and it sounds like the same preparation routine - I found it all OK and the procedure itself wasn't a problem.
    Hope that's a bit reassuring.

3. The prep is worse than the procedure in my opinion. Too much information, but I moved the television into the bathroom for the prep day and sorely (excuse the pun) regretted not buying moist wipes and sudocrem (trust me on this!).
    The procedure itself isn't painful, just odd as you have to be sort of rotated on a table to make sure the barium coats the colon. Quite fascinating if you can also see the x-ray screen. The barium sulphate used is very heavy which makes for some interesting toilet visits afterwards. Ask away if you want any further information. For goodness sake, don't make ANY plans on the prep day!

4. Oh yes you definitely need to be near a loo but my experience wasn't as bad as yours - maybe a colonoscopy prep isn't quite the same or maybe I was just lucky (if needing to have a camera inserted where the sun don't shine can be described as lucky!)

5. Thanks for the reassurance, I'm not too worried about pain, I mean if it was THAT painful surely they would give you something. The injection that they say they will give you sounds scary. It says that your vision may become blurry. I suppose the thing I am most scared of is having an accident if you get my meaning. It says on the leaflet that the hospital sent that you will feel like you need to go when the barium and air go in but you have to hold it in. Am 50 and had 2 children my muscles down there aren't what they used to be l. [​IMG]

6. Roboteer

Roboteer New commenter

I didn't have an injection when mine was done. I did the low residue diet followed by the laxatives. Think I remember maybe having another laxative at the hospital on the day (one that was placed in the bottom end rather than taken orally).
    The barium itself was just a thick slightly chalky drink - I remember it was in those little plastic disposable cups that you use at kids parties. The barium itself gave me no need to go to the toilet.
    The X-ray is no problem at all, you sit in the waiting room while the drink goes through and then they check you to see how far it has got. They had a surprise with me when after 20 minutes it was already all the way through, but then fast transit time is part of my problems!
    I second what a previous poster said in that the only problem I had was getting the toilet to flush when the barium was coming out [​IMG]
    Having had a couple of colonoscopies I can say that I found the barium enema no problem at all in comparism and certainly it caused me no pain.
    I got married 2 days after mine so it didn't take long to get over [:)]

7. margey

margey New commenter

GTA =been thinking of you today. Hope you ok. xx

8. All done margie and the senior radiographer confirmed I had diverticular disease which I sort of knew but never had it confirmed. Said everything looked ok at a glance but would be taking a closer look and sending report to consultant. Nothing obviously scary thank goodness. For anyone else reading this who may need this procedure there is absolutely nothing to it. No pain, not even discomfort. Dignity maintained at all times. Prep day was fine, no pain but you do need to be close to a toilet. The only discomfort I have had was afterwards with trapped wind. Then it i was nothing really. Have worse than that with some foods I eat.