1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bargain of the week?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Apr 12, 2012.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Went to Tescos today. Had a walk down the wine aisle just to se if there were any offers. Hardy's stamps of Australia was on offer last week all varieties £3.99 a bottle. I treated myself to a dozen at the time. Anyway they were no longer on offer except for one of the Whites which was still tagged at £3.99. So I popped another half a dozen in the trolley and added a half dozen of an Aussie Shiraz that was also on a reduction.
    Went to the till and put the wine through as a separate item as we had two £5 off vouchers and so could use one with the wine. The white came through the till at £7.99! So we went to customer services, they checked the shelf price (which should have been removed but was still there) and they had to refund double the difference on the 6 bottles. Thus they refunded me £8 per bottle. So altogther with the refund, the £5 voucher and the 5% discount for buying 6 or more bottles (which was 5% of the full price) we walked out with 12 bottles at an average price of £1.16 a bottle. Result!

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

If you'd returned the Aussie Shiraz and just had the 6 bottles of Hardy's you'd have got them for free and a cash refund of £7.46, which is a better deal.

3. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Wow - what a result blazer! I bet you'll enjoy the wine even more now! [:0]

I had a similar thing in M&S recently where a "3 for 2" offer had finished, but the signs were still up. It's worth looking out for these things.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I once got a Tesco Meal Deal (usually £10) for free + money back when I checked my receipt and saw that I'd been charged just over £20 for the items (starter, main, dessert + bottle of wine).
    It's often worth checking which wines they have on the Meal Deal as some of them are being sold in the wine aisle for £8-99 per bottle. If you are going to buy it anyway, you might as well pay the extra £1.01 and get three courses for 2 of tesco Finest food!
    I rather liked Hugh Laurie's deceit in the hospital canteen on House recently. He took a small soft drink cup, stuffed it with chocolate bars, put the lid on and inserted a straw. He then approached the till pretending to be drinking from it and paid for a small soda!
    Booths supermarket are currently doing a special offer on butter. 2 for £2. A few years ago I'd have considered that exhorbitant but it's a big saving on the standard price and on other special offers today, so I've bought 12 packets as the expiry date is in June.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Even better yet. Mrs blazer does the tesco price check thing. They check the cost of your shopping against ASDA and if ASDA is cheaper then they give you a voucher for the difference. The same wine in ASDA is currently £6.48. Thus we should get a voucher for another £9.06 !

6. A few weeks ago our Tesco had tins (can't remember what - tomatoes perhaps but this sounds too expensive) at £1.10 each or 3 for £1. [​IMG]
    Near Xmas (and I know this applies at other times of the year) Tesco had "buy 6 bottles and get 25% off". I spotted an offer inside - "£7.99 each or 3 for £12". What they do is calculate 6x£7.99 (approx £48), knock off 25% (= - £12) then reduce the "£48" to £24. So you get £36 back off your £48 spend ie 6 bottles for £12 or £2 each (I think you get the points on £48). Worth watching for.