1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bare Escentuals

Discussion in 'Personal' started by buntycat, Jun 15, 2010.

1. I bought a starter kit today. It has
    2 foundations - the one I tried and another one - the woman said the other one is slightly darker for the summer, but i don't tan my skin, anyway - so maybe that extra one is a waste
    concealer, called summer bisque
    something called "warmth"
    some really fine milled stuff called powder veil
    fat brush
    medium brush
    concealer brush
    Now, does it go like this:
    <ol>[*]put primer on[*]put foundation on all over face[*]put warmth on the "sunkissed bits"[*]put concealer on where needed[*]put powder veil all over the larger bits that need extra concealment, like areas of uneven skin tone</ol>And which brushes do I use for steps 2, 3, 5
    Ta

2. I bought a starter kit today. It has
    2 foundations - the one I tried and another one - the woman said the other one is slightly darker for the summer, but i don't tan my skin, anyway - so maybe that extra one is a waste
    concealer, called summer bisque
    something called "warmth"
    some really fine milled stuff called powder veil
    fat brush
    medium brush
    concealer brush
    Now, does it go like this:
    <ol>[*]put primer on[*]put foundation on all over face[*]put warmth on the "sunkissed bits"[*]put concealer on where needed[*]put powder veil all over the larger bits that need extra concealment, like areas of uneven skin tone</ol>And which brushes do I use for steps 2, 3, 5
    Ta

3. Personally, I always do concealer before foundation. Foundation should be done with a foundation brush or clean fingers. I always use the biggest brush possible for bronzer so as not to get streaks, and make sure the brush isn't loaded heavily.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I had to ask my wife what a cosmetic wedge was today.
    I can see that I am really on the nursery slopes when it comes to all this stuff, I dont understand a word.

5. I'm no expert but I think its
    primer first
    then concealer
    foundation and layer it with the big brush - you have to tap the excess powder off and brush it on with big circular strokes and keep brushing for a while to warm the minerals up - adding more in the areas needing more coverage - the trick is to keep brushing - dont overload with product
    then the warmth one in a sort of triangle over the cheek bone and out towards the ear- dont over load but keep brushing
    then the veil - everywhere I think.

6. General rule is the larger the area the larger the brush!

7. ............ and dont expect to get it right first time - as with everything you need to practise in order to perfect the tecnique

8. and I think you can use the veil on its own ..... if you dont want full make up - though not sure

9. Can I be nosey and ask where its from, how much it costs and if its any good?
    I am a complete make-up novice....i use virgin vie mineral powder because I love its lightness but its pricey and runs out quickly, with virgin vie blusher and any old kohl eyeliner, and thats it....Id love to go to one of the cosmetics counters and get it all sorted properly that matches my skin tone etc but dont want to be landed forking out loads of money because I feel under pressure.

10. well...I was in a hurry, so I paid &pound;71 for that lot, but I don't think I needed the &pound;8 brush cleaning liquid.
    What I really liked about it was that it was soooo quick to put on. I reckon I could do the lot in 2 mins. The coverage was nice and light and I didn't feel that I was putting on a load of makeup.
    I reckon I could pick up refills a bit more cheaply.
    Does anyone use the eyeshadows?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I remember when I used to go through all of that - I have my life back now that I settle for a tinted moisturiser. I used to hate the feeling of all that gunk on my skin.

12. scilab

scilab New commenter

I use this - and I've never been a big makeup wearer, but I just like the way it feels so light on my skin, and it evens out my skin tone as well. It is easy to put on, doesn't take very long at all - I reckon 2 minutes is about right.
    The only problem is that the powder can get wasted unless you're careful to only put in the lid a tiny bit at a time - I use a tiny amount each day for what I think is a light covering (hardly any) but it's difficult to tip the excess back from the edges of the lid into the pot without spillage - or perhaps i'm just clumsy!
    I got my refills this time from ebay - they do some good deals there and so far- with my one purchase - it appears to be the real thing and not a fake line!
    Haven't used the eyeshadows at all so can't help with that!

13. learningyoghurt

learningyoghurt New commenter

Ooo - I love the feeling of all that gunk on my skin. Although right now I suspect I'd love the feeling of a big rustly brown paper bag more...

14. Noooo! Don't buy it off ebay - something like that is so easy to fake. (never buy trainers from ebay either - they're cheap fakes from China).
    You can get 8g tubs (the ones in my set are 2g) for about 20 quid. I reckon if used every day, maybe that's 2 months supply.

15. I was in WHSmith recently and a man on a stall asked me which brand of make-up I used. I truthfully replied that I don't wear make-up and he proceeded to try and sell me his 'bargain bag' of make up which was ONLY £65. When I declined because I don't wear make up, he tried to flog me the make-up brush set. He looked really baffled when I said 'erm no, I don't wear make-up'. Maybe he was trying to tell me something ...

16. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

So let's see...

It's filler first,
    then primer,
    then undercoat,
    followed by topcoat,
    finish off with varnish, yes?

17. Like painting a bleddy door!
    I really, really, really, really couldn't be a.rsed. I make an effort when going out, but daily?
    Nah, my routine is:
    slap of moisturiser after shower whilst towel on hair.
    go to make cup of tea.
    drink tea whilst drying hair.
    slap on Avon glimmerstick for eyes in blackest black as a tiny wee cat like eye liner line.
    Flash of Max Faxtor Falsh Eyelash Effect mascara.
    Brush of any lipgloss depending of colour of what I am wearing.
    Done.
    WHEN I do the works (i.e. going out somewhere worth it) I MIGHT slap no a bit of mineral foundation or Max Factor Second Skin.
    That is as far as I can be bothered.
    Primer?
    Concealer?

18. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've used this brand (Bare Escentuals) for almost 4 years. I love the fact it's light and not gunky at all, it smooths out all blotches and imperfections, takes next to no time to apply and doesn't rub off on clothes.
    The foundation is really all you need. I have the concealer (put on AFTER foundation) but rarely use it. If I need perking up I use a little Touche Eclat under my eyes). I also use the blusher. Mineral veil is used on top of blusher and foundation for special occasions, as it does give a lovely finish but too fiddly for everyday.
    I also use the eyeshadows and they too are lovely but the foundation really is the star product.
    An 8g tub, used everyday, would last me a lot longer than 2 months but I always keep a spare as runnig out is a real 'no no'.
    There are several good internet sites that sell the stuff at a good price, otherwise I beleive QVC sells it but I don't know how the prices compare.

19. You've not seen my Pippin - his black eyeliner looks positively Egyptian!