1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Barclaycard

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Eva_Smith, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Why, why, why won't companies stop calling me up and then asking me to divulge personal details such as my name, date of birth, and address before they will tell me why they are calling? I told them I wouldn't confirm anything and the cheeky little so-and-so had the nerve to say "Ok, we'll ring back later" and hang up before I could even say, "You can, but I won't be giving any personal details then either".
    I've posted about this before, so sorry for the repetition, but it really does infuriate me.
    I always refuse to give out personal details over the phone. Barclaycard (so they claim) have rang me every day this week, at least 3 times a day, each time asking me to confirm personal details. As far as I know, there is no reason for them to need to ring me anyway. I never use my Barclaycard; my last statement confirm the balance remains £0, as it has been for the past 12 months. I'm pretty certain that if Barclaycard are genuinely trying to get hold of me, it's purely for marketing purposes and I'm blooming sure I'm not giving a personal details just so theey can try and convince me to transfer other (non-existent) credit card balances to my Barclaycard.
    Grumble, mutter, moan....

2. Eva_Smith

Why, why, why won't companies stop calling me up and then asking me to divulge personal details such as my name, date of birth, and address before they will tell me why they are calling? I told them I wouldn't confirm anything and the cheeky little so-and-so had the nerve to say "Ok, we'll ring back later" and hang up before I could even say, "You can, but I won't be giving any personal details then either".
    I've posted about this before, so sorry for the repetition, but it really does infuriate me.
    I always refuse to give out personal details over the phone. Barclaycard (so they claim) have rang me every day this week, at least 3 times a day, each time asking me to confirm personal details. As far as I know, there is no reason for them to need to ring me anyway. I never use my Barclaycard; my last statement confirm the balance remains £0, as it has been for the past 12 months. I'm pretty certain that if Barclaycard are genuinely trying to get hold of me, it's purely for marketing purposes and I'm blooming sure I'm not giving a personal details just so theey can try and convince me to transfer other (non-existent) credit card balances to my Barclaycard.
    Grumble, mutter, moan....

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

4. I've had the same from Talktalk twice this week. The second time, when i refused to give any personal info explaining that they could have been anyone, she assured me that she was ringing from Talktalk and was genuinely puzzled when I laughed and didn't change my mind!

5. If it were me, I'd ring them and see what they want to talk about. Perhaps there's been a suspicious transaction on your account. Perhaps they want to talk you into something to do with your account - this may well be that they're selling something...but at least if you've spoken to them you can get them to put a stop to the calls

6. Eva_Smith

I've just had my statement, there ARE no transactions on my account. The balance is still zero. I'm certainly not ringing them back on their 0870 number.

7. If I have the time I have been known to

Ask for their personal details

Ask for the first and third letter of my mother's maiden name

etc

Really pisses me off too ... as I point out "Not only did YOU ring ME but everyone who lives in this house could answer the stupid questions any-£*&%@$£ing-way

8. I am always amazed at the amount of cold calls that happen in the UK. I have never had a cold call in my life here in Germany - no sooner am I home in the UK and I answer the phone, it is "Good Morning, this is *insert first name*. Could you confirm that you are *insert name* and tell me your date of birth".
    To which I can always, honestly, answer - "No, I am not".
    Which is probably why I am usually asked to answer the phone...

9. I got them for two flipping years for someone who didn't even live here and had obviously had the phone number previously... none of them would take the number off the records as I wasn't able to confirm I was the person they were ringing for, and even TPS registering didn't help as she'd given the number out and ticked the "please bombard me with marketing calls from 8am till 9pm every single day" box on everything.
    Since we moved hosue and changed number it's utter utter bliss.

10. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

It must be an epidemic at the moment- I've had so many of these calls lately!
    Now, if I suspect it, yet another, I ask 'who's calling', pretend I'm someone else and say I'm not in.
    I NEVER divulge personal details to cold callers- even if they're from a company I use already.

11. We have the same problem MisterFlibble!
    One company are incredibly persistent, despite the fact I respond to every question with f*** off now.

12. customer services: 01604 230 230
    They're going to keep calling you until you've spoken to them. Everytime you refuse, the poor sod in that call centre just presses a button to send your details back into the system.
    The fact that you don't use the card can sometimes be enough on its own for them to call and call.

13. I had a lovely call last night, just before 9pm.
    I said all of the TP stuff and asked to be removed from their database.
    But you will miss all the lovely offers...
    ALL!!!!
    Anyway she twittered on a bit about the beauty of a company that matches special offers with your personal shopping preferences (no, me neither)...... I was feeling somewhat kind, so I gave her about 40 seconds of my life then asked...
    Is this call being recorded?
    Yes!
    Oh good, I need say this only once and you can play it back if you don't understand: FOFF you stupid bin.t I am signed up with TP and you, as a UK company, are breaking the law! I have your name, number and company details and I will be reporting this breach of cold calling regulations.

I have no idea at what point she squeaked and put the phone down!! And I was lying about knowing who she was/they are!

14. I can't remember the last time I had a cold call - TPS works for me, but I also never give out my phone number either...
    I do recall several years back that my then boyfriend used to get lots of calls and was too lazy to do the TPS thing, so one weekend we took it in turns to answer the phone and say mmm, mmmmhmmm, mmm and then when they'd done their spiel, say 'sorry - can you repeat that? I stopped listening at the start' or 'I can't understand your accent - please speak more slowly'

I'd forgotten all about that til just now - ah, those halcyon days, when winding up some poor callcentre drone was the giddy limit of thrills...