1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Barcelona

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by jdes, Feb 7, 2012.

1. I am planning to move to Barcelona in September and would appreciate any advice on good schools where to apply to? Most of the comments on this forum about teaching in Spain are quite negative and I would quite like to have some GOOD feedback.
    Thanks!

2. I am planning to move to Barcelona in September and would appreciate any advice on good schools where to apply to? Most of the comments on this forum about teaching in Spain are quite negative and I would quite like to have some GOOD feedback.
    Thanks!

3. It's an amazing city and I'd move there tomorrow if the schools were good and the pay acceptable.

You could easily survive as a singleton or even with a couple of kids to feed but you will save nothing as a teacher unless you are a Deputy Head or Head somewhere.

Buena suerte!

FS

4. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

I'm not in Barcelona, but moved to teach in Spain (Valencia area) 5 and a half years ago and have never looked back. I've visited Barcelona numerous times and it is a great city. You might find it tight, financially, to live there, however. It is expensive, difficult to drive (and park) in but possibly worth the effort if that's the kind of place you thrive in. I imagine you might find it a bit difficult if you want to learn Spanish, the Catalans can be a bit protective about their own language and you're chances of practising Castillian (Spanish) might meet some resistance.
    As for schools in Spain, there are good and bad, and schools change. I joined a school which was a bit 'ropey' but has improved over the years. I'm happy there now. Sorry, can't give you any advice about schools in Barca.
    I have noticed that whether you like a school/working overseas often says more about you than it does about the school or the country you're in. In my own school I've seen staff come and hate it (and leave), while others love it.
    So make sure you know why you're going, what you're looking for, and be prepared to be flexible.
    I certainly love the Spanish livestyle and the weather is great (18 degrees and sunny here today).
    If you have any specific questions about life in Spain in general then post again. Otherwise I'm sure some people with more info on Barca will post soon.
    Go for it!

5. dippit

dippit New commenter

Hi,
    I moved to Catalunya nearly 8 years ago - mainly because I fell in love with the area and was totally fed up with the local authority I was working for in Scotland. However, I did so without checking out the possibilities for work first, which wasn't a great idea as we moved to an area between Tortosa and Tarragona and there aren't any international schools there. Also, giving up a permanent position is something I'd think carefully about - I wish I'd done it then. I ended up teaching in an academy (not too bad an idea for an English teacher as my knowledge of my own language has improved no bounds!) for 6 years until I moved to Valencia to teach in an international school.
    As far as Barcelona goes, there are only a handful of international school there (apart from Mallorca, all the international schools in Catalunya are in Barcelona) - check them out on the NABSS website (if they're affiliated) or do a google search with a variety of key words (international, English, American,etc - I think one is called 'St. George's, or something similar). The best place to check for vacancies is the TES website. However, international schools in Spain don't pay anything like as much as state schools do in the UK (proabably about half - and the cost of living ain't that cheap!) but if you look around, and have the necessary qualifications, you should find language schools that pay about the same - and there's always the option of giving additional private classes. Also, in my area, where there are quite a few international schools, the vast majority are out to make a profit and don't always care about their staff that much. The changes in employment law have made it easier for employers to keep you on a temporary contract indefinitely (if you're in Valencia, you'll probably guess whre I'm working!), which means you're unemployed during the summer - and the dole, for the first year, won't even cover your rent!
    The one thing I'd recommend is to think carefully about why you want to make the move. Regardless of whether there were jobs available in Scotland, I have to say that I'm very reluctant to move back - my family has settled here, the culture and lifestyle are fascinating, and there's a lot less stress involved all round, though you have to remember that it can be a case of swapping one set of problems for another!
    If you want more info you can email me (seyule8@hotmail.com) and I'll tell you what I can - just put something in the subject line or I'll delete the message!

6. I worked for a while at the British School of Barcelona and really liked the place. Its not actually in the city, its South along the coast in Casteldefells but the kids are nice and staff very friendly. Most staff live around there or in Sitges which is a lovely place. Let me know if you want more info.

7. Hello,

Thanks for your reply! I would be really grateful you give me more info about BSB as you worked there. I am about to send a job application and any info would be useful.
    What range of salary can be expected there?

8. expect equivalent to £1500 a month and no reply after you apply. Wish I could be more positive but the chances of getting a job in this school are slimmer than a weight watcher member's waistline. Actually that's not very slim at all.

Buena suerte!

9. Hi Fleetingsound. Thank you very much for your info on cost of living in Sitges. Do you know of any areas in Sitges that offer the rate you mentioned for accommodation? We have various schools we work with in and around Spain, Sitges being one area, and it is just nice to know so we can tell our teachers. Also if you know of any companies we could use that would be good too.

10. hi, could you give me some info about this school, I am thinking of applying for a job there and would like to know about your experience. Thanks debsgleadhill@hotmail.co.uk

11. I work in Spain. My school doesn't have half term, it just has fiesta days. It can feel like very long term! I think this is the norm in Spain and it is definately a consideration.

12. If you would like some more info about BSB, please feel free to send me a private message with any particular questions and I will do my best to help.

13. Hi all,
    is there any reason in particular why BSB gets so many applications? Is it because Barcelona is so fabulous?
    I am potentially interested in Spain and speak Spanish, but I'm pregnant and will have twins to support by the time I make the move.
    I'm a primary school teacher... are things any less bleak for us?
    :)

14. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

In other news . . . Yohan Cruyff lives there.

Picturesque church on the beach if i recall rightly.

15. Shigs14

Shigs14 New commenter

Hi Simon,

I've seen a position available at this school-any chance you could pass on some additional information e.g salary expectations, opportunities for promotion, class sizes, etc

Regards,
    Steve

16. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Spain is well know as being the worse paying country in Western Europe, in fact i would be hard pushed to think of any other country in the world that pays as badly, so dont expect much.