1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Barcelona international schools

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by chemistryofstars, Apr 8, 2020.

1. chemistryofstars

chemistryofstars New commenter

Hi all,

I am interested to know if there's anyone with experience in any of Barcelona's international schools, and if so, which you would recommend/avoid?

Thank you in advance!

2. dippit

dippit New commenter

I'd join *** or ISC to check out schools. They're not free, but the small fee is worth it in the long run...just be aware that sometimes people use them as a way of venting their anger (especially ***).

Why Barcelona? The cost of renting a place is prohibitive. In fact, it probably equals Madrid in terms of cost of living - and the wages, even for a science teacher, won't leave you with much to enjoy the city.

3. mtcien20

mtcien20 New commenter

In the past few years, rent has gone up significantly, so much so locals are quite frustrated they are being pushed out of being able to rent due to the boom in tourism and ***BnB day rentals. You can live in the outskirts and commute to the city which makes it more affordable. I agree with the poster above, salaries need to increase in line with the other international schools

4. chemistryofstars

Thank you both for your responses.

dippit, I think part of your message has been redacted, could you possibly message me privately on here with the name of the organisation where I can look up schools? It would be really helpful to me as I don't know much about the schools there.

Thanks mtcien20. I have heard it's really expensive to live there now as I have some contacts in the city. How did you find it in terms of other conditions/working hours etc at your school?

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Please please please tell me you have searched this forum and others about working in Spain? Do NOT try and work in Spain without doing a serious amount of research, and especially financial planning as its going to be a very very low salary.

6. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

The two American schools, which are probably pay the highest salaries, don't advertise. You need to register with one of the big agencies.

7. chemistryofstars

Thanks miketribe for the tip, I hadn't really considered the American schools.

Thanks also dumbbells, I have read the forums quite extensively and I realise there's plenty to put me off Spain! It's somewhere I'd really like to go if the right opportunity comes along, but I realise it's a bit of a long shot to get something with decent benefits. Was hoping to see if anyone on here had any specific schools they could message me about before I make any applications.

8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

You are looking at the totally wrong country if you want "decent benefits". They will sell you the "lifestyle myth", but thats available all over the world. If you want to get paid more than a burger flipper then avoid Spain. Sadly this is no joke.