1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Banksy 'artwork' vandalised

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Shedman, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

2. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

An improvement.

install and Shedman like this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

No it isn't. In a poor area of town, a row of three terraced houses has been re-rendered and painted cream. One of them is the home of a kid I used to teach. Some subhuman selfish piece of s*** has sprayed signature graffiti in black paint over all three houses. It isn't possible to hide it by just painting over it. It's as if seeing something looking nice sparks off the need to deface it.

4. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Perhaps some people don't think "it" looks nice.

5. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I think it's sad and just screams the attitude 'Look what I can do? Aren't I clever?'

A sad, sad person.

6. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

It's graffiti art: I thought the whole point was that it should provoke a response and find it unsurprising that the response should be further graffiti.

xmal, magic surf bus, Shedman and 3 others like this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It is a shame. I hate most graffiti, the vast majority of it is utter garbage and a blight on wherever it appears, any one can be a vandal it's not difficult, selfish *****.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

There is no doubt (in my mind anyway) that Banksy is a very talented artist. Take, for example, his "Devolved Parliament" painting of chimpanzees overtaking the House of Commons.

[​IMG]

However, an uncommissioned 'guerrilla painting' on the side of a building without the freeholder's knowledge or permission is, in my view, nothing more than vandalism.

So here...

[​IMG]

we have two pieces of vandalism.

install and Kandahar like this.
  9. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Banksy. Ten to a penny.

burajda and install like this.
  10. Aquamarina1234

How do you know he didn't seek permission for that piece?

11. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

He's supposed to be anonymous...unlikely.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

This is the part that I want to know.

If the homeowner gave consent then it's vandalism. If they didn't then it's just double the vandalism.

13. WB

WB Senior commenter

Isn't the concept of graffiti being vandalised something of an oxymoron?

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Presumably Banksy started out somewhere, somehow, possibly by spraying low quality stuff on walls, and covering over others' efforts in the process. You'd think he'd be happy that someone else is starting out on the same career path, but he probably isn't.

Then again, it's a long-established tradition among graffiti artists:

[​IMG]
    I bet Big Bull was well p*ssed off when that upstart Running Horse turned up in the neighborhood around 20,000 years ago.

burajda, WB, nomad and 1 other person like this.
  15. ms honey

ms honey Occasional commenter

I wish Banksy would 'vandalise' my property

16. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Yep. Its just another piece of graffiti art. Its not meant to be permanent. Banksy probably doesnt care, the 'work' has been photographed and documented . Job done. Ephemeral and now its destroyed. So what? The landlord didnt ask for it on his/her property and the local young taggers probably have no respect for Bansky and view him as an old git establishment figure.

Kandahar likes this.
  17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Would you like hundreds of graffiti tourists outside your house taking selfies?

18. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

You like middle of the road?

I'll send him round with magnolia.

install and burajda like this.
  19. Aquamarina1234

BUT the people who lived in the houses I mentioned were happy the landlord had gone to the trouble of doing them up. Some uninvited other ruined it for them all.

20. install

install Star commenter

Might have been Banksy for all we know?