1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Banking NQT Time?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by oldsizenines, Mar 6, 2011.

1. oldsizenines

oldsizenines New commenter

I have been told at work that my NQT time is now to be banked, and I am not allowed to take it on a weekly basis. I have to save it up, and then take a day to observe other teaching/other schools etc.
    I'm sure this is allowed, and makes sense to me as it's useful to do these things with my NQT time.
    However, I'm worried that if I want to go on a course then I'll have to use my NQT time to do so. I don't think that should be the case - am I right?
    Thanks for your help.

2. oldsizenines

I have been told at work that my NQT time is now to be banked, and I am not allowed to take it on a weekly basis. I have to save it up, and then take a day to observe other teaching/other schools etc.
    I'm sure this is allowed, and makes sense to me as it's useful to do these things with my NQT time.
    However, I'm worried that if I want to go on a course then I'll have to use my NQT time to do so. I don't think that should be the case - am I right?
    Thanks for your help.

3. Why shouldn't you use NQT time for going on a course? After all, it is supporting your CPD as an NQT.

4. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

When I was an NQT and this had just been brought in we were told that one of the main puposes of NQT time was to allow us to go on courses etc. As NQTs there were more courses available to us yet schools previously were often reluctant to release the teachers because of cover. By having this allocated time there was no 'excuse' so to speak for schools not to let you go on courses. So sometimes - yes you will have to use your NQT time for courses - that is what it was designed for.

5. oldsizenines

Thanks for your replies.