1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

bank holiday question?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sinclair, Apr 1, 2011.

1. I work part-time and frequently miss out on banks holidays on Mondays and Fridays so I will miss out on the 'royal wedding' day off. For the week beginning 25th April those who work full time will have Monday and Friday off but will get paid for the whole week. But for me it will be a normal 3 day week. Is this just unfortunate for me therefore I just have to accept it or am entitled to time in lue! (or is loo!!!) don't think so!
    Didn't mention, the days I work were not decided by me but by management.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Neither it's 'time in lieu (of)' or instead of -those pesky French again, so no surprise we find it difficult.
    I'm afraid I think it's just one of those things. You're not losing out on any pay & you will still have those days 'off'.
    Many of my fellow posters on the unemployed teachers & supply forums would love the luxury of having dependable, regular, paid work. For us bank holidays just reduce our potential earning power even more! (Sorry to rant, but perhaps you need to consider how lucky you are to be able to have found a part-time job.)

3. As you say 'rant'. I do sympathise with you and your fellow posters who are umemployed but after many years of service to the profession and having never questioned my conditions of service, I believed after 25 years of teaching, I was quite honsesty asking a legitimate question.
    Yes, delighted to be working part-time and feeling totally decadent when I don't have to listen for the alarm in the morning. However, you too should consider people's circumstances. As a very young widow with three children, working full-time and maintaining a household on a single salary was no easy journey. Fifteen years on I continue to appreciate the opportunity I had then and for my current employment status. In addition, it helped in some way to ensure enough income to support my children through university, so I feel going part-time was justified.
    Sorry to rant.

4. I'm afraid it's like the poor people who have PPA on Mondays and sometimes miss it due to bank holidays and INSETs- tough "you-know-what"! Rightly or wrongly, that's what my school have said (not in so many words....) Other schools may have different policies though (however I kind of doubt it!)

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

That's not the same. Do I detect a certain jealousy here?

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

When I worked part time I didn't ever get days off in lieu of holidays that fell on my non-working days. Had to go in for a proportion of INSET days or whole staff meetings too that fell on non-working days. It's always tough when you don't work on Mondays and Fridays (usually shorter days at the end of term), but I don't think there's anything you can do about it. It would be quite difficult and perhaps costly for a school to cover you and if you had to set lessons anyway, you may as well be working for all the time it takes to do the preparation!