1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bank holiday entitlement?

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by Geordieindevon, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Geordieindevon

Geordieindevon New commenter

Good evening everyone,

Could anyone advise me whether bank holidays are an entitlement and should be given pro rota of how much time you work? I.e if you work 0.8 should you get 0.8 of them?

The reason I ask is I am on 0.8 and will only be working Tuesday - Friday next year and therefore feel I am being unpaid for the days others get off for the bank holiday Mondays....

Just a question- any guidance offered is gratefully appreciated.
    Thanks

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Ther's usually only one bank holiday which isn't part of the school holidays, unless your area does the long-weekend-for Easter thing. That makes 0.8 of them rather tricky.

You should be working on 156 days, whether teaching days or training days. Count them up and see if it works out. It might not, depending on which days terms start and end. If you're a day over, you could legitimately point this out and ask whether you may have a day off somewhere - perhaps a training day or sports day or something like that - or be paid for the extra day. Of course, if you're a day under next year, the argument might go the other way, so you may prefer not to worry about it.

And before it comes up, if more than one training day falls on a Monday, and they say you're not doing enough of them because you should be doing four of them, you need to point out that in that case you should only be doing 152 teaching days. If you're doing 156 total, that might split 152/4, but it might not.

Geordieindevon likes this.
  3. 50sman

50sman Occasional commenter

The beauty of working Tuesday TP Friday is that you don’t get the Sunday night feeling - that has to be worth part of a 0.2!

ViolaClef and Geordieindevon like this.
  4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Established commenter

There is usually only one day in the year when teachers benefit from a Bank Holiday but work the rest of the week. I've never heard of part-timers making an issue of this if they are not in on Mondays. It's just the way the cookie crumbles. Next year every Monday will feel like a Bank Holiday for you! :)

5. BarryIsland

BarryIsland New commenter

Ive been part-time for 16 years in secondary. As my days aren't fixed year to year it is swings and roundabouts. Some years you gain some you lose.