1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bank Card Details hacked, and shoppers' discount scam

Discussion in 'Personal' started by shalteir, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Very close call, and full marks to my bank HSBC. My bank, fraud department, rang to say my card had been blocked on three transactions today-two very expensive Harrods'online purchases and a £5 donation to UNESCO (which I hadn't made). Apparently mine is amongst a list of card numbers obtained from some source, perhaps a retailer I have used.
    It came to around £1000 total, so I was lucky they detected something was wrong and the transactions were blocked.
    A list of card numbers is out there, you might like to check your account is okay and you haven't started a spending spree through donating to UNESCO these last few days.
    Examining my records closely, I further discovered I had lost two monthly payments of £10, to shoppersdiscount. This problem is listed on a web search (eg http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/shopperdiscountscouk-c156016.html ).I think my details came when logging on trainline.com others post on the web of this problem following purchases through Ryanair.

2. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

I also paid £70 to shopper discounts before I realised. Think it was Ryanair to blame but Interflora, bmi baby and loads of others are at it too. Phone up SD, demand a form to fill in and make sure you ask for a full refund. On the phone they will try to fob you off with one month's refund, then 3, but if you insist you will get it all back by filling in the form.

3. Thanks piglet171. I had 2 x £10 taken from my account.