1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Bangkok (with a family)

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Bythesea123, Nov 30, 2018.

1. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I must agree. When it comes to scaremongering China and Indonesia are much further ahead (or behind!). We left China 12 years ago and they were already cancelling outdoor classes and fitting filters to the windows then. Bangkok is currently having a bad time but it is the exception and not the norm.

Huskily,

Perce

2. phat_sue

phat_sue New commenter

Could you send me a conversation please Perce? I’m not able to yet.

3. le2012

le2012 New commenter

Thought I'd jump in on this thread to ask Bangkok-related question. I am looking at the British secondary school that is linked to a school in a north west suburb of London / Harry Potter school. I am trying to find out what the expectations are regarding after school clubs and boarding duties? The IRS reviews either state that extracurricular expectations are either very good but a couple say very bad so seeking some clarity. Thanks!

4. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

If you are talking about the school I think you are, there is a regular poster on here who works there, I am sure he will pop by soon and give you some insight.

I visited the school on in October as I have a friend who works there, it is hard work (certainly be some weekend work), very academic, nearly all Thai students (So something to think about if you have children of your own), quite a way out of the city but very good package.

The school facilities are amazing and it's close to the old airport which makes it handy for local and Asian travel.

I went to a school BBQ whilst I was there and they seemed like a good bunch of people to work with.

5. le2012

le2012 New commenter

That's the one!

I am aware of that and no kiddies of my own so not a concern.

I don't mind the hard work or after school clubs but I know I don't want to be involved in boarding duties - just not my thing, I've done that in my 20s. Some on IRS say it's not expectation to be involved so just wanted to confirm that.

That I am actually quite happy with. I like to be near the buzz but not in the centre of it. Plus pollution wise it's better I heard.

That is awesome to hear.

Thank you so much for your answers and hoping the poster from the school pop around soon too :)

6. willow78

Pollution is really bad at the moment including were the school is location, my friend who works there has just signed a new 2 year contract, she is now thinking of changing it to a one year contract because of pollution, but she has two children. All last week the students weren't allowed out side at breaks.

7. percy topliss

This school offers an excellent package but the expectations are commensurate. You will be expected to carry out quite a few extra curriclar tasks and not just after school, there are lots of things expected of staff at weekends too. However, the school just has that kind of ethos, the kids and the staff pull together well and this is born out by the results at all levels. The school takes great pains to ensure that it gets the right staff. People who cannot be bothered to keep up with expectations tend to leave, which is in everyones interests.

8. tyla

tyla New commenter

Percy, I am also interested in the school, can I PM you?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  9. percy topliss

Yep, feel free.

P

10. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

Hi, Can you send me a PM, I am trying to find out more about this school?

11. willow78

Yes of course send me a message, I'm there in March for a leadership course and maybe there for Easter, hopefully the pollution will be better by then. If you have any spefic questions let me know as I'm speaking to my friend tomorrow and could ask him your questions.

12. percy topliss

The pollution seems to have dropped off today. I actually saw blue skies which is promising. I understand that we just need the winds to change in order to get rid of it as opposed to China who need the earth to tilt on its axis.

Pleurally,

Perce

13. tluag01

tluag01 New commenter

Thank you so much for this info. My husband has now been offered a position commencing August and I have been doing some research - we are heading to Bangkok in February half term and I think I will contact the school re estate agency contact. I’d really appreciate recommendations on areas to visit as a leafy neighbourhood would be idyllic, with good access to the BST network.

14. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

**Snigger - good luck with that

What you want to be aiming for is the less congested roads. I have friends who live in a compound which is really nice but it's not worth the congested road to get there. It can often take over an hour to get home if you head off at the wrong time.

15. tluag01

tluag01 New commenter

Lots to think about. Glad we’re visiting prior to relocating.

16. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

We live off of Sukumvit Soi 71. It's very quiet down our street and we don't feel like we're in a big city. It's a 20 min. walk to the BTS. There's always going to be a hidden neighborhood with houses that may suit. We bike everywhere and are constantly surprised by all the hidden alleys. Because most people don't look to live in a house they don't know what's out there.

17. percy topliss

Schools in Bangkok have been ordered to close for the next 2 days by the government because of the dreadful, dreadful pollution. Worth thinking about if you or your kids have asthma or any other respiratory ailments.

Perce