1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bangkok (with a family)

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Bythesea123, Nov 30, 2018.

1. buaslo

buaslo New commenter

2. JKBKK

JKBKK New commenter

I think it's more a reflection of the way the international school market has grown here and elsewhere in Southeast Asia. For-profit schools can provide a big return, and with so much being taken out for the owners, it leaves very little for teachers, especially if the school has lower tuition fees. To be fair, I think you're right that some of them can still be nice places to work; I was at one when I first moved to Bangkok and was generally happy.

Although more of the lowest-paying schools are indeed American, there are quite a few British ones (with more than 200 students) as well: the not-so-old-fashioned school near Phrom Phong, the chocolate-toffee-bar-in-a-field school on Ramkhamhaeng Road, the legal document school near the airport, the sickle moon school near Silom, and the global settlers school near Wongwian Yai. Around five to ten others verge on 100K at the top of their scales. The chains definitely don't fall into this category, though a small number do fall below 100K for new hires with little to no experience.

Bonus points to anyone who can work out all of the schools named above! :)

Where are you planning to go after the two years? Another school in Bangkok or a new country?

3. 24hours

24hours New commenter

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me - Unfortunately it appears that I am also unable to start a private conversation so I ill have to keep searching.

Best of luck

4. norwichred

norwichred New commenter

Bythesea out of interest were you interviewed before or after the closing date of the advert? I only ask because I applied there a month ago but I've just realised the expiry date is only today.

Thanks

5. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

I haven't yet worked out all your clues but I do love a good cryptic game! I got the Phrom Phong one and the Sickle Moon. But that is more because I know the two areas.

I am really not sure yet. I do love Bangkok and it is home for me at the moment. I am looking towards leadership though. It is just hard to break into a first SLT position, particularly in a competitive city like Bangkok, so I might need to move away. If the right position comes along, I will move this year, and my current school has made an offer and will honour it until March, giving me lots of time to look.

How about yourself? A Bangkok lifer?

6. JKBKK

JKBKK New commenter

For now I definitely have no plans to relocate, as I work at one of the big three, and my wife is Thai. We wouldn't want to move until we're closer to paying off our house.

You're definitely right that leadership positions--particularly those in the decent schools--are hard to find here. People tend to stay unless they move on to a higher position, and even then many of the schools will promote from within to replace them.