1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bangkok (with a family)

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Bythesea123, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Bythesea123

Bythesea123 New commenter

I am very lucky to be holding my second job offer of the week at a school in bangkok and I’d really appreciate any feedback on life in the city.

The school has a sister school near Wales and the job is at the newer campus for primary children.

I know that this school has a high percentage of Thai children and I would be putting my own (young ) dc into the school if I took it. Do many of you have your dc in a school where there are a lot of local children? It isn’t british curricukum so there wouldn’t be a problem there and it looks like a lovely place To Learn but I wouldn’t want them to feel out of place if it’s not truly international.

I am happy with the package I’ve been offered but wondering how the lifestyle is in bkk for families with young dc. Thanks

2. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

I know the school, although more the riverside campus, rather than the new one, which is more central I think. Looks like you have done your research and know all the pluses and downsides to the school.

I'd say Bangkok is a good place to bring up children, lots to do, great places to visit within a short distance, get to the jungle or a beach easily at the weekend.

Downsides for me, is pollution and traffic, think about how you and the children will get to school and location of accomadation.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  3. Bythesea123

Thank you. I think the school and city look fab, I love SE Asia and would love to live there again (lived in a different bit a few years ago but was supply teaching)
    My main thought at the moment is that the school is more host nation children- I don’t think my kids would either notice or care and neither do I as the curriculum is British and so are the teachers but I do wonder if the playground language would be Thai and therefore they’d be isolated. I guess o won’t know till I try it!

4. plindley1972

plindley1972 New commenter

Sorry to jump on this thread too... I have been offered a package in a small school in Bangkok. I really do like the school, but feel the package is not what it should be. They are offering about £100K THB per year with a bonus at end. This includes a housing allowance. Can anyone offer and insight in to pay deals in Bangkok....

5. Bythesea123

I have been offered quite a bit more than that, plus accommodation, flights, medical and school places for 2 children but I have 8 years experience and kids so that might have affected their offer.
    My DH lived in Bangkok before he met me and he seems to think that’s quite a good salary for a single person or a couple without kids if other benefits on top. I am basing that one the info of one person though so I’m sure someone more knowledgable will be along!

6. Bythesea123

Oh sorry do you mean 100,000 thb per month or 100,000 gbp for a year?

7. willow78

You need to specify if that is yearly/monthly/pounds or baht, as there is a massive difference. I'm guessing in monthly in Baht, is so it's pretty low, but if you are young and single (or with a working partner) then you will be fine, any dependents, it might be tight.

8. willow78

I nearly applied for the riverside campus last year, I spoke to an ex student of mine, who left a very international school in Pattaya to go there, he enjoyed it, said although a lot were Thai, there were lots with European, American etc dad's and he never struggled to settle or make friends

9. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

100k THB per month is about average-good for a small, independent, mid-tier school at the moment. When I say small, I am thinking 100 - 200 kids total.

However, if your school has a sister school in another country, is part of a chain, or has more than 200 pupils, then it is a very low offer.

Actually, there are only two British schools I know that pay that low in Bangkok. One is supposed to be a nice place to work. One is awful. Both are miles from the city.

Worryingly, there are quite a lot (including some surprising names) amongst the American / other curriculum schools that offer very low salaries.

Some schools will try to tell you "but local teachers only get 20k per month" and all sorts of stuff. Don't listen.

10. buaslo

buaslo New commenter

My daughter works in a British Curriculum school in Bangkok, very small with the secondary just up the road. Think they pay less than 100,000 but it is very central. She enjoys it but I think there are on going issues with classroom supplies...

11. Bythesea123

Willow78 thank you that’s good to hear. My children are very young and the oldest particularly is easy going so I suspect they would be okay if I did choose to go for it.

Buaslo does your daughter have a family or is that just for her/her and a partner?

12. norwichred

norwichred New commenter

Ah, so they’ve appointed.

I assume that’s the school that did their application form on survey monkey which I found offputting.

I didn’t even get an acknowledgement of my application. If you decide to take it then congratulations.

I would have taken it with my partner and two kids had I been lucky enough......:)

13. Bythesea123

Yeah the survey monkey thing was a bit weird! But they were advertising for quite a few posts so it may not be the same one!

14. 24hours

24hours New commenter

Hi,

Congratulations on the job. Do you think you could be a bit more specific about the package you at getting. My partner and I are considering Thailand as our next destination and it would be great to get an idea of the actually packages that are being offered.

Feel free to send me a message in private if you want

Thanks

15. JKBKK

JKBKK New commenter

As of this year, there are approximately 110 international schools and kindergartens in the city, and only about a third of those have salary scales that reach or exceed 100K. You'd be surprised at how many are also at the very bottom of what any international school should be paying, without any other benefits such as housing or flights, and regardless of the number of students. I know of around a dozen that pay 45-55K, and many more in the 60-80K range.

I do agree with tjh102 that 100K (and the associated benefits) should be on the lower end of what a licensed teacher should be looking for.

16. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

We have 2 kids, both of whom were born in Bangkok. As a family we are in our second decade here.There is a great deal to do both here in the city or within a couple of hours drive. One can be on an island or at a lovely beach side resort. Most living places have access to swimming pools or you can simply pay to go to one of the many 5 star hotels that there are here. Although it is not for everyone I have very seldom met any people with kids who think that they would be better served by returning home, wherever that may be. Also, of course, because of the Brexit nonsense the pound is well and truly in the toilet so it is an excellent place to save as well.
    Please feel free to send me a message if you want any more information.

Merrily,

Perce

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  17. Bythesea123

Thank you for this info. I don’t think I can initiate messages yet as I’ve not been around for long. Would you mind messaging me so I can ask you a couple of questions - you sound like you know lots of things!

18. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

Yes, the number of international schools (or "international" schools) is staggering. I know how bad pay is at some - I saw a headteacher position advertised for 50k!

I have not seen any of the chains offer less than 100k. And I have to admit, I don't know of many British curriculum schools with over 200 kids that offer less than 100k (excluding kindergartens - they seem to be a law unto themselves).

My current school is low paying but I love it here. Just what I needed. My confidence had been utterly destroyed by the UK system and I am finally getting a little of it back. It is also relaxed and friendly with no backstabbing. So, despite the appalling package, I am planning to resign for another two years. Money can't buy happiness!

19. Bythesea123

I’d be happy to but I don’t have permission to send a messag yet as I’m too new I think! If you’re able to message me I’m happy to give you package details

20. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

Worked for this school before so I am more than happy for you to DM me.