1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bangkok jobs

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by lolly77, Jan 28, 2020.

1. lolly77

lolly77 New commenter

I have already secured a job for August in Bangkok, but my husband is still looking. However jobs seem to have dried up and there doesn't seem to have been many new ones over the last few weeks. I feel like all of the big schools have already advertised ... is that it now for recruitment? I know friends who have got jobs later on in March/April, but I'm unsure of that likelihood this year when so many schools seem to have recruited.

2. Chemteacher01

Chemteacher01 New commenter

What does he teach?

You’ll have some jobs which come up at the last minute as people may not turn up or quit at the last minute

3. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

Recruitment seems to happen earlier every year. My old school in Bangkok has advertised and appointed all for their August start jobs. I seemed to remember some jobs becoming available at my old school around May time but there was only one or two and mainly for maternity.

4. w1185299

w1185299 New commenter

Perhaps there will be some vacancies at the upcoming jobs fairs?

5. lolly77

lolly77 New commenter

Biology / Science

6. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

Out of curiosity did you apply as a teaching couple?

7. fordseries123

fordseries123 New commenter

People will change their minds, new positions will come up, situations change, etc. So in summary, more jobs will be advertised through the course of the year.

Your partner will probably be able to pick up something when he is here, however he may be considered a 'local hire' then so be aware.

8. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

Is local hire such a problem? Wouldn't he get all the benefits through his wife anyway? I've always wondered this. At my school in BKK the pay was the same so for couples it was fine.

9. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Being a local hire is fine and the benefits or lack there of is dependent on the school. At my school I get: housing, health, bonuses, normal pay, free tuition and discounted lunches. I do not get flights. At Patana, you would not get a housing allowance but you would get everything else.

10. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

I would be surprised if something doesn't turn up before the end of the year. I got my job in May.

11. lolly77

lolly77 New commenter

We did to begin with, but once I got my job, he's obviously been applying solo.

PuRe likes this.
  12. lolly77

lolly77 New commenter

This is what we're hoping for. If not, he's keen to do tutoring to keep him busy. Any idea how easy it is to find tutoring work? And by tutoring, he means science, not English language.

13. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

Pebbly Beach College Bangkok are currently advertising for a Science Teacher.

As for tutoring, I would never recommend working in Thailand without a valid work visa, even if there were significant demand for iGCSE, A Level & IB DP Science Tutors who had both been trained in, and had actually taught, those subjects.