1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bangkok international schools

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by safeasmilkkk, Jun 5, 2020.

1. safeasmilkkk

safeasmilkkk New commenter

Could anyone tell me anything about international schools in Bangkok?

Just seen a vacancy for January start at Shrewsbury International School. What is it like to work there?

2. worlo24

worlo24 Occasional commenter

I have friends who worked there. Send me a PM

3. could you PM me some details too please? Thanks

4. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

Situated in a nice area near the river. Massively polluted in recent times though
    Bit of an exam mill, much more interested in the result than the child
    Pay is OK, but not the best
    Recently opened another school for those who do not pass the entrance exam
    Have to live on top of other teachers in old Condo's in (polluted) town
    Finding it difficult to recruit and hold on to staff.

5. mightyb

mightyb New commenter

Strongly disagree. Apart from the location, can't dispute that!

6. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

One of the big issues I have with this forum is the inconsistency of information, it would be good to know where he information is coming from, now I don't expect you name yourself or even what you teach, but it would be good to know if you work at the school currently, use to work at the school (X number of years ago), know someone who works there or have just heard rumours about the school. People looking for jobs rely on this information.

Recently there was someone saying false information about my old school in HCMC, this poster use to work in HCMC a few years ago but not even at the school, so his information was outdated and 2nd hand. I challenged him and he never replied. Whilst I know that most is based on opinion, it would be good to have it backed up with where the opinion comes from.

I once visited the Australian school in Singapore for an IB course, it looked great, staff I spoke to loved it, but it was many years ago and if someone asked what it was like I certainly wouldn’t be able to comment.

SPC2 and mermy like this.
  7. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

Hello @Oli_K I have just tried to instigate a conversation with you as I would prefer to answer your questions that way, unfortunately it looks like I cannot do so, censorship at its best it would appear by the TES!

8. mightyb

mightyb New commenter

Agreed.
    I currently work at this school and am very happy there. I would recommend it.

Oli_K likes this.
  9. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

Think you have had to have so many posts before you can start a conversation.

My post wasn't directed at you, just more a general thing, I don't want to know about the school, I visited in February, had a look around as I have a friend who works there, I liked the look of the school and my friend is happy there.

I get that some people might not want to give too much information away about who they are for obvious reasons, but some clues would help people validate the information (As much as you can, as they could be someone who has been rightly sacked or at the other end a member of SMT trying to make the school sound better than it is.)

10. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

Agreed. That's one reason I always feel a bit uneasy about one very regular poster frequently encouraging newcomers to message them privately where any information provdied isn't open to challenge, corroboration or correction.

11. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

On a slightly different note we were sent an email today informing us of the steps which we as teachers WITH work permits will have to carry out were we to leave Thailand and then come back in time to teach at the end of August. It ain't pretty! Single room in a hotel paid for by the teacher, obviously, in your room for most of the day food delivered no visits to the pool or outside etc. If you are a family your children must decide which parent they want to spend the 15 day encarceration with. All this costs about 2 thousand quid, as long as you do not test positive. I guess that there may be reasons why folk need to get home desperately but it makes me wonder how many will come back AND are new staff going to want to go through this? Some cheaper schools are going to baulk at paying this fee I should imagine.

12. adultsocialcare

adultsocialcare Occasional commenter

I can think of worse places than Thailand to be imprisoned for quarantine. Mind you, knowing the place, I can't imagine for a second anyone is going to actually Police the quarantine .

There is another possibility of course. The king quarantined in Germany. Have you been given that option?

13. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

'One of the big issues I have with this forum is the inconsistency of information...People looking for jobs rely on this information.'

With all due respect guys this an internet forum! Anyone who relies on this for anything more than some very dubious opinions needs their head examined. As someone famously said about the internet some years ago: 'any idiot can put stuff on the internet and many of them do'!

14. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

So people should know that many, if not all, the "established commentators" on here are full of it, don't know what they are talking about and just want the attention.

At least our "friend" from Angola, who gets $ 1000 000 a week and could not cut it in Spain or the UK, seems to have disappeared after his cover was blown.

24hours likes this.
  15. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

'So people should know that many, if not all, the "established commentators" on here are full of it, don't know what they are talking about and just want the attention.'

Not quite 4019775, its just that everyone on here is giving their own opinion, usually based on a mixture of their own experience, the evidence of friends and colleagues and other forms of anecdotal evidence.

Lace that with their own prejudices and their own view of what makes a good school, a good job, a good package and a good location and you have a heady mix. Some people on here do come across as know it alls and that they are the only ones with access to the real info, and everyone else is either mistaken or stupid but hey, that's them. You accept the advice/information, at face value or you don't.

My point is that, as SPC2 says - any information provided isn't open to challenge, corroboration or correction' - and you should not expect anything else on an open access internet forum.