1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bangkok & dogs

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by espressoristretto, Dec 5, 2018.

1. espressoristretto

espressoristretto New commenter

Hi - I'm thinking of applying to a well-established British school in Bangkok, and would be very grateful for any advice! It looks like a lovely school & location, with well-motivated students. Presumably there's a culture of pushing them on academically - is there much requirement in the way of sports / other extra-curriculars?

I'm currently teaching at a British boarding school - how would the hours compare?

More importantly, I will be travelling with two dogs - how possible is that in Bangkok, particularly in that area? Are pet dogs allowed in the school grounds at all?

Many thanks!

2. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

Think you will need to be more specific as two schools come to mind, one independent and one a franchise.

A friend of mine works at the franchise school near the airport, she has a dog you brought from the UK, biggest problems is walking the dog, due to lack of green space and safe places to walk the dog, there have to take a stick with them to stop the soi dogs attacking their dog. Also they find it restrictive for holidays and this is one of the biggest perks of Thai life.

When we moved to Thailand a few years back, we made the tough decision to leave the dog at home, it was certainly the right decision, I think our friend wishes she had.

3. espressoristretto

espressoristretto New commenter

That's perfect - thanks for the info, exactly what I needed to know!

4. Morena123

Morena123 New commenter

We brought our dog over from the UK with us and it has been fine, but it did restrict our accommodation choices massively. Our dog is big and we couldn't even consider an apartment. We found a house with a big garden and we can walk her for miles here without a lead, but the compromise is a bit of a commute (luckily my school is not central so the commute isn't crazy but we do need a car) and being under the flight path! But for us it is perfect. If we wanted the city lifestyle it would be awful!

Re working hours: I also came from a British boarding school and the hours simply don't compare. Of course this will vary from school to school, just as it would at home, but even with extra responsibilities at work I have SO much more time here. A two day weekend, every weekend, is a delight! I do volunteer for a lot of the 'extra' stuff but I don't feel this is an obligation in the same way I did in the UK. Lots of people don't do these extras and just do their required extra curricular and nothing more. That is ok, at my school at least.