1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bangkok Benefits

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by msb92, Mar 18, 2019.

1. msb92

msb92 New commenter

Good Morning All,

I have just been offered a teaching position in Bangkok, these are the benefits:

Salary 85,000 baht per month
    Housing Allowance 15,000 baht per month
    Travel alloance (50 % at start of contract , 50 % at end) 36,000 baht
    20,000 baht settling allowance
    Medical Insurance.
    Work permit and visa (multiple entry)

Just wanted to check with you lovely people if it was a good offer? This is only my second year of teaching.

Many thanks!

plindley1972 likes this.
  2. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

That's pretty ok. It's not the best and it's not the worst. Never fear, if the school isn't to your liking then you can move easily in the same city. Many at my school have school hopped in Bangkok. We hop up around to better and better schools.

msb92 likes this.
  3. MissTilscher

MissTilscher New commenter

This package is good for a middle-tier school in Bangkok, and good for 2 years experience. You wont struggle on that here and should be able to do some travelling as well as save. I am based in Bangkok at the moment at a similar tier school - feel free to drop me a conversation if you want anymore info.

msb92 likes this.
  4. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

Doesn't sound like the type of deal that you would get in a top tier school in BKK. Is the school central? I am happy to answer questions if you want to PM me.

msb92 likes this.
  5. fordseries123

fordseries123 New commenter

If you are single then you will be fine on that offer. However, if you had 5 or more years experience in the UK, then you would expect around 100,000 as a monthly salary after tax. So it might be worth waiting two or three more years and then coming over.
    Also have you clarified the end of contract bonus? (I assume the travel allowance is for the flights).
    15,000baht for housing is on the low side by the way.
    If you have a family then what you have been offered will be difficult to save on and also enjoy Bangkok and travel around the country.
    So in summary in all depends on how desperate you want to come this year and if you have dependents or not.
    Good luck.

msb92 likes this.
  6. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

Bangkok is a bit of an enigma of an international teaching destination. I hear from various BKK school admin that it's a desirable destination, and therefore there's little pressure on wages. However, I wonder how attractive it is to those with families, or those established in their careers (who have got used to higher standards).
    On the other hand there are a lot of IS, and a lot more newly opening, and therefore a lot of demand for staff. As such we would expect some upward pressure on wages. However, as life in BKK can be lived cheaply I suspect some schools get away with paying lower than their equivalent tier/size school would pay in China, etc. I do wonder whether equivalent lifestyles in BKK are much cheaper than other SEA big cities. For example, if you want to live in BKK with the same standards that you would in Singapore, KUL or HK how much cheaper is BKK ?
    As for the OP, you'll take home about 80-85K/month after tax. This will be fine if you live further out, in a suburb, maybe paying 10-15K rent. However, as Fordseries says - if you have a family you'll be a little stretched. If you're single, or with a non-dependent partner, you'll be absolutely fine - if you enjoy tropical beaches, parties, cool clubs and ancient temples you'll have a wonderful time !

msb92 likes this.
  7. msb92

msb92 New commenter

Thank you all for your helpful posts, I really appreciate it!

Yes, it will just me travelling to Bangkok, so I'm glad you have all said that I will be fine.

If anyone has any helpful tips or advice, please message me!

Thanks again!

8. fordseries123

fordseries123 New commenter

msb92,

You will have a great time here, Bangkok is a great city with so much to do and visit, plus it's a great hub to travel from.

I know a few people here who have not enjoyed their time in Bangkok, but they have made little effort to explore the country, learn the culture/language, make friends with the locals, etc.

The majority of people who come here really enjoy their time, so I am sure you will do.

Just remember most of the schools here start a lot earlier than back in the UK, but to compensate for that, you should have a bit more holiday time compared to back home.

dannythedog and msb92 like this.
  9. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Bangkok can be attractive to the young especially male teachers..... Couples can be dangerous. Known a few married guys go MBA (married but available) and that never ends well.

Even Principals and VPs I hear have had that issue with "family reasons to leave". Having worked in Bangkok I have seen it all and many a male melt.

Apart from that its "exotic" and "cheap to live in" (less cheap these days). If single go for it, but with wife and two kids on that salary?

10. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Family of 5 here. We’ve lived in Shanghai, Shenzhen, Penang and now Bangkok. The money was the best in China, the kids preferred Penang and we are happy with our situation in Bangkok. Plenty of schools to choose from but with kids you need to think about how they will fit in. We’re not at one of the top three but I don’t mind. Our location is great for us and the schools are well resourced, positive, supportive and growing. The salary is good, we can save one salary and have a good standard of living. We travel and do eat out sometimes but with kids we don’t go out much. We have domestic help and could afford more but the kids need some responsibilities.