1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bangkok- 1 quid meals out but what do I pay for...?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by bennydcfc, Apr 27, 2011.

1. I shall also be keeping tabs on the answers, as I'm moving to Bangkok in August :]

2. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Difficult one this, very much depends on how close to the center you want to be.

If your school has easy access to the Skytrain or Metro, then travel is quite easy, if not, you will have to live near the school as traffic is a big problem.

Costs in inner BKK vary between 25K and 25K for a nice place, outer BKK you can get a nice place for less.

3. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Prices have come down a little here as there are a lot of buildings empty at the moment. Personally I pay 28'000 Bt a month for a three bed, 3 bath detached house with a small garden and maids quarters. Our housing allowance is 37 000 baht so this gives us a bit of wriggle room when it comes to paying bills etc.
    When we were looking though we saw a few 1 and 2 bedroom flats closer to the centres of town (Silom, Sukhumvit and Aree) which were ridiculously priced more than 40'000 Bt a month for a glorified bedsit. However, there are others which one can get for around the 20'000 mark if you want to live in some style. The Ex-Pats who work for some of the big companies get an enormous amount for their living allowance, I have one friend who gets in excess of 100'000 Bt per month, and spends it! Some landlords think that we all get this.
    Also remember that you will be paying 30% + tax every month. This comes as a shock to a lot of people who come out here. It is a case of swings and roundabouts, if you are sensible you can live the life of Reilly out here and, to be honest as long as you are at the right school, most of us do...
    One last thing, though, a lot of the better schools will give you help when finding your house. If this is not offered I would wonder why.

Good luck.

Perce

4. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Some schools are still operating under the dual tax treaty where you do not pay tax for the first 2 years, but the legality of this is suspect. There are also companies that promise to reclaim your tax for you.

I seem to remember that Benny is going to a school that does not pay that well, the good news for him is that the 30% tax quoted by Percy is for higher earnings. Some of the poorly paid teachers in our school only pay about 12% tax.

5. percy topliss

Morning Bibbles,
    You are of course right, regarding levels of tax but I thought that everyone now had to pay up and then try to claim it back. As you say there are people out here who say that they are able to do this for you but they do want a sizeable chunk of the moolah!

Perce

6. I've tried looking on the internet for a tax scale for income tax, however its a little inconclusive.
    Any chance someone could shed some light on this?<p/>
    Cheers!
    Benny<p/>

7. HTML fail.

8. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Found the tax rates, 150K tax free then 10% of everything up to 500K, then 20% of everything up to 1 million

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

9. I'm sure I'm not the only to notice the descrepancy between Percy's rate and Bibbler's.
    What gives?

10. percy topliss

Come Come now Holmes, surely this one is elementary....? The rates increase as you earn more. Unfortunately in a couple of months when I pop the 1M baht point mine will increase again. The tax year here is from January to January.

11. Ha, I was looking at Bibbler's threshold rate and thinking, 500,000 Baht a month is a staggering salary, and not one that would affect a teacher[​IMG]
    It was a momentary lapse in concentration that has now been corrected.[​IMG]