1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bands and music from our youth.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Dec 9, 2018.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

For me, the Beatles. You had to be there to realise how innovative and important they were for their time. So much of their music and style has been incorporated into modern rock and pop so anybody listening to them today will not realise the huge amount they brought to popular music. If you go on Utube you can listen to a lot of their work but sadly the utubes showing them performing are mostly lip syncing so you get no idea how good they really were at actually performing live as opposed to just their song writing and studio work.

A rarity that, as far as I can tell, is a live performance is :

I never saw them live, but I listened to a series of their live performances on the BBC Light program where they performed their early stuff including many of the covers from their live act.

MY sister saw them live but due to the tragic limitations of stage amplification at the time she could not hear them properly above the screaming. --- (She informed me she didn't go to scream herself.)

So would you care to share your youthful musical experiences and influences?

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Years ago I went to West Berlin when it was way more outré than nowadays,and the people I stayed with had gig tickets but they refused to tell me who for until we got there, and it was Iggy Pop and David Bowie. Screaming outrageous gig.

Several years after that I went to Paris, and on discovering where the edgiest bars were,we were given some tickets by a couple who couldn't be bothered with going out. To see Iggy Pop. That was a brilliant rabbly music bar.

And more recently diving down from Denmark through Schleswig Holstein we picked up a couple who were hitching (it's really common up there),and on their way to help rig out a music venue in Hamburg. I suppose you could guess by now, they gave us free tickets as a thank you for the lift. To see Iggy Pop. At the plosive end to the gig the Prussian non-clapping unnerved me.

Intriguingly it doesn't stop there. I have in one way or another been to see Iggy Pop at least seven times, I can't help it. I never instigated a plan to go. Each time I ended up covered in old beer, and not once did I identify anything resembling music.

I just don't know how it happened, the completely misleading fact that I have seen Iggy Pop more times than I have seen Psycho...

3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I saw the Beatles circa 1964/65 in Blackpool at the Winter Gardens. I could only really hear the screaming ! (Got my father to drive my friend and I direct to Blackpool airport hoping to see them. No Beatles but we did meet Manfred Mann arriving and got autographs. Pre Beatles I loved Billy Fury (hated Cliff and Elvis) and I saw him several times.....on stage not alas to meet. I still have my 45s.
    All the Blackpool lifeguards liked The Beach Boys...... and last year I finally got to see Brian Wilson perform "Pet Sounds" which was lovely and I shed a few tears I can tell you.
    As a student it was Yes, Family, Dylan...... saw Dylan many many times....
    Murmurs.jpg
    Of course I finally ended up the most fervent R.E.M. fan...... seen them as many times as I could .... at the front as many times as I could manage and of course have done my pilgrimage to their town of Athens Georgia and saw - thanks to a guided tour from a chap whose local band opened for R.E.M'S first ever gig we saw ever R.E.M related landmark !!!

Stipe book signing .jpg
    MEETING MICHAEL :)

Brian Wilson Pet Sounds.jpg

TCSC47 likes this.
  4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Has anyone else noticed how almost everybody from Liverpool is in some way able to link a family member to The Beatles? Uncanny.

blazer, nomad and TCSC47 like this.
  5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Memorial hall in Northwich Cheshire in the early to mid 60’s, I saw the Kinks, Small Faces, The Who, Manfred Mann, PJ Proby, plus many others. We bussed from my home town every other Saturday night.
    The Who were the standout group but all those listed were brilliant.

Ready steady go Who and Stones:):):)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    nomad, HelenREMfan and TCSC47 like this.
  6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

For me, the 60s was much more than the Beatles. Let me ask you a question, @TCSC47, if you heard "Your mother should know" come on your car wireless, would you turn the sound up as loud as you would if this came on?

Yes I know it ain't the original by the Kinks.

TCSC47 likes this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Roy Orbison from listening to a big pile of singles my friends cousin had given her when we were about 11. Billy Fury off 6 .5 Special. Ketty Lester's Love Letters Straight from your Heart off Radio Luxemburg on my auntie's transistor when we were on holiday in Cornwall. When I was very little I loved Magic Moments by Perry Como and it was my first username on here.

HelenREMfan, TCSC47 and lexus300 like this.
  8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Later this week we will be taking two boxes of records to the charity ship (yes, they want them...I checked!): 101 LPs, bought from my first ever (Cat Stevens 'Mona Bone Jakon' 1970) and 50 odd singles* (some for children, but also pop music ones I bought from my first ever: 'Scarlett O'Hara' by Jet Harris & Tony Meehan, 1963).

So very much the bands & music from my childhood will be going this week - hopefully to raise a few pounds for charity. (This is all part of downsizing.... but I may have to stifle a tear!)

*Plus a rare, I believe, Beatles EP from 1964 'The Beatles' Hits'. Definitely my favourite for most of my childhood!

TCSC47 likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

A relative of mine was on Deep Purple's road crew so I went to one of their gigs when I was about 8 - it was very loud but I'm still a fan of the band and I've seen them a couple of times since.

TCSC47 and Nanook_rubs_it like this.
  10. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

The Beatles, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zep, Frank Zappa, the list is endless.
    One band that had a particular influence on me as a habitual band member was 'Free', simple songs played with 'soul':

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've met Roger Glover and Ian Paice from Deep Purple

They are both lovely blokes by the way

Nanook_rubs_it likes this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've met Robert Plant too

Also a really nice guy

Nanook_rubs_it likes this.
  13. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Come ON, D of Y! You have only just gone and used Waterloo Sunset in your argument! Just happens to be my most iconic tune of my youth!! Of course I would have to turn it up to 12 whoever it was sung by. But of course David B does an excellent job of it.

I will come back to you on the merits of Bowie, when I have a bit more time. Too many merits!

And the KInks-- Brilliant! Presumably that is Mick Ronson playing Dave's rifts which are as important as the lyrics.

lexus300 likes this.
  14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Uncanny as in the number of people claiming to have been at the 1975 Bob Marley gig exceeds the capacity of the venue by x10000?

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I've just been listening to some Kinks tracks. The thing that's most striking about them is the instantly recognisable opening bars. Other songs from the 60s are often vaguely familiar, but not so much that you can necessarily remember the lyrics or who had the hit with them.

This song they did in which they predicted post-Brexit Britain is typically recognisable..

16. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

My first concerts as a teenager at Newcastle City Hall circa mid to late 70’s

Dr Feelgood
    Sailor
    Chris Rea
    Hall and Oates
    Lindisfarne
    sparks
    Happy days

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  17. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Belle and Sebasian for me. I thought their lyrics about mundane, eveyday life (I don't know any other band who sang about oral thrush) were... different. Plus their melodies were charming. Sort of new wave French, but from a Scottish band.
    I don't like them so much now, but back in my actual youth I loved them. This song still raises a bit of nostalgia... art school discos, etc.

18. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

What is youth?

19. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Steely Dan - quite simply the best songwriting ever!

minnie me, silkywave and Jesmond12 like this.
  20. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Oh God. Someone wants to get all philosophical...
    Or pedantic. Take your pick...

;-)

Marshall likes this.