1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bandersnatch on Netflix

Discussion in 'Personal' started by burajda, Dec 28, 2018.

1. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Just done Bandersnatch on Netflix. So its an interactive Black Mirror episode, not TV, not a game, but entertaining. Theres probably dozens of endings, it took us about 75 minutes. Should there be more action? The future of broadcasting or a quirky one off?

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I don't have the faintest idea what you are taking about!

needabreak likes this.
  3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Me neither but I might investigate if buraja is recommending it... Whatever it is...

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's like one of the old choose-your-own-adventure books... you know, if you go left turn to page 91, if you go right go to page 56. You turn to page 56, a dragon eats your face. You are dead.

Except done through Netflix.

I've often thought a very ambitious youtuber could make a click-your-own adventure video series...

5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

It sounds like something you might encounter on one of those ... er... adult channels.

racroesus and needabreak like this.
  6. needabreak

Sounds interesting, can you change your mind and go back a redo a previous page that you missed?

7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I'd never recommend, but its certainly a different viewing experience. Youre given an option of the next sequence of events, one or the other. You can go back, but iits kind of like a loop back to where you were earlier. I may start from the beginning again and choose completely different options. Youve ten seconds to make a choice, we made a choice each time, but I wonder what would happen if we hadnt made any choices at all, perhaps it would all be over in 45 mins.
    Ive enjoyed most of the Black Mirror series, and being about how technology and humans interrelate so Bandersnatch fits in pretty well with the rest of the series and Im sure Bandersnatch was referenced in an earlier BM episode.

magic surf bus and needabreak like this.
  8. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Lol, nothing like that! The Bandersnatch was an invention of Lewis carroll

9. needabreak

Would it help to watch BM first? No idea what the that's about either... *Wonders how long that might take, will investigate further tomorrow.

10. burajda

burajda Star commenter

No, you dont need to watch Black Mirror first and BM is not for everyone, my wife doesnt get why I watch it. I didnt tell her Bandersnatch was actually a BM episode. Whats often predictable about Black Mirror is the lack of happy endings, but if you find one for Steffan, please let me know, perhaps choose Sugar Puffs at the start, I chose Frosties. Mrs Burajda always chose the worst possible potential scenario for the poor boy.

11. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Actually there was a really good one on knife crime on You Tube that weve shown in form. Ill try and find a link.

12. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Hopefully a quirky one off. I was about half way through when I remembered that I didn't like the book versions much in the 80s either.

13. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

I read that there are 5 endings. I found 3 of them.

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

All I'm getting via the Freeview Plus box is a modified 2 minute trailer telling my kit isn't compatible with the interactive format, despite the fact that I can interact with Netflix's search functions like anybody else. I take it that's not some sort of spoof thing? My TV's getting on a bit - it can't do on demand viewing on its own, and it wouldn't upgrade.

15. magic surf bus

As a postscript I've successfully completed the interactive Bandersnatch experience on my PC (yes, some of us still use PCs) and found it thoroughly entertaining. Mind you, I haven't played a computer game since around the time when the story was set, so it had an extra resonance for me. Hell, I even devised a couple of multi option adventure games for the ZX Spectrum, so I can understand why he goes crackers at certain points. Definitely worth a go - it didn't disappoint, and it raises some intriguing ethical questions.

16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

We're watching/doing it right now!

magic surf bus likes this.
  17. magic surf bus

I couldn't help noticing a few cross references to other BM episodes, not to mention the good old red pill white rabbit motifs beloved of the Matrix trilogy. Wheels within wheels.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  18. catmother

catmother Star commenter

No. I could not get the full version when watching Netflix on my BT view box (only got the 2 minutes trailer) but I can get the interactive version on the Now TV box.

19. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Having just "done" it,I'd say let's hope it's a quirky one off!