1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bananas - which end is the correct end to peel from?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fusey007, Jan 11, 2011.

1. while i have mostly been enjoying the benefits of two weeks paternity leave, i have also been subjected to mrs fusey insisting that the correct way to peel a banana is from the stalk end.
    I maintain that the correct end to peel from is the other end, enabling the stalk to be used like a handle and making it easier to access the whole banana during the eating process.
    i am willing to concede that most people will no doubt peel their bananas from the stalk end as this has the become the way of convention but can anyone offer any hard evidence as to which way is actually correct?
    the last time we had a disagreement like this was when mrs fusey thought that mr tickle was blue,lol. that time the wonderful tes population were happy to prove me right saying he was orange - please dont let me down this time.
    bonnet de douche

2. The correct way is to use a knife and fork.

3. Do you mean that you're supposed to PEEL them?!!!!! No wonder i've never liked them!

4. The third way is to snap them in half and work from the middle. Sometimes compromise in mixed company shows respect to both approaches.

5. But do you still eat the skin?

6. (But if they are very ripe, you may need to cut them in half with a knife, showing sophistication by employing cutlery).

7. The top.

Remove all the skin then eat.

8. depends

9. If the banana was out of the box, think out of the box. How many different ways can you peel a banana?
    I find it easier to start from the stalk end, because the stalk provided extra leverage in breaking the skin. But maybe that is not imaginative enough if I'm attending a brainstorming inset.

10. the correct way i to squeeze and peell from the bottom. that way you can take the little black bit out. in banana growing countries this is how they do it.
    thats also how monkeys open bananas

11. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I find this mushes up the end of the banana. Nothing worse than mushy bananas.

12. Not if you have the skill. I don't like mushy either.
    Regarding earlier post, please define which end is the bottom end. Depends which way I hold it.

13. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

The best way to eat bananas is to melt some lard in a frying pan and then fry some thick rashers of bacon until the fat is just crisp. Place the cooked bacon into your choice of bread (I like warm baguettes) and then add brown or red sauce.
    Throw the bananas away and eat the bacon sarnie
    Delicious

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

If the mere act of eating a banana requires such complications, I suggest that you make sure you have a set of eating objectives to hand before embarking on the perilous task.
    A knife and fork? I've known two people do that - my old dad and a rather posh Filipina friend.

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

Normal people use the stalk end since it gives them more leverage and they don't end up with mush under their nails. Banana mush turns black, so is not a pleasant sight at the end of a hand.

16. Thank you Inky. You obviously have class.

17. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Monkeys work from the bottom end. We aren't monkeys. Stalk every time.
    Sheesh, at last some intellectual conversation on TES

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I on the other hand actually like to suck my banana, bit like an ice lolly, but I scrape it with my teeth and then munch into it before it becomes too soggy. At this point all the men look away. Only joking, I actually only do this in private. When in public I like to slice my banana in half, peel off the skin and then slice it up into ringlets. I feel very self conscious eating bananas in public.

19. "When in public I like to slice my banana in half, peel off the skin and
    then slice it up into ringlets. I feel very self conscious eating
    bananas in public." So you should be. What people do in the privacy of their own homes is another matter.

20. I may have jumped to conclusions here. I retract my post. I have already posted cutting in half myself. Somehow I was thinking you meant along the bananas length, which I would find unacceptable. However you then go onto cut into rings. Well I like that if I'm placing slices on cereal or fruit salad.