1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bananas and carrots

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by musings85, Jan 12, 2011.

1. So I received my first organic veg box delivery yesterday, and I must say I am very impressed. But I now find myself with lots of carrots and bananas and am unsure what to do with them. I love bananas but can only manage to eat one a day and fear they will go off before I get chance to eat them all. ANy suggestions?
    I also have an abundance of carrots. I'd thought about perhaps a carrot and cumin or carrot and corriander soup but does anybody have any different ideas?
    Many thanks you lovely, lovely people!

2. So I received my first organic veg box delivery yesterday, and I must say I am very impressed. But I now find myself with lots of carrots and bananas and am unsure what to do with them. I love bananas but can only manage to eat one a day and fear they will go off before I get chance to eat them all. ANy suggestions?
    I also have an abundance of carrots. I'd thought about perhaps a carrot and cumin or carrot and corriander soup but does anybody have any different ideas?
    Many thanks you lovely, lovely people!

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Bananas.....freeze them! I discovered this a few months ago! Peel them and freeze them....When frozen you can eat them whole or mush them up....they taste like Banana Ice Cream -m really creamy! Add a spoonful of berries for a fab dessert...and low fat, low cal, fibre rich....you can't lose!
    Carrots - Grate them, add raisins, flaked almonds and lemon juice for a delicious salad. (I eat salads most days and am currently fond of this one!)

4. Grilled bananas and then add alcohol of some kind - rum. It's good for over ripe bananas.

5. Bananas do keep well in the fridge - but the skins go black, look very odd.
    If you have a lot of carrots, you could juice them for this - 1 1/2 cups of juice!
    (I've never tried it but it looks pretty good.)
    http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/carrot-bread

6. We sometimes have a side dish of roast carrots with a selection of beans (green bean, buuter beans, cannellini, berlotti - whatever you fancy really) with thinly sliced red onions, feta, olive oil and whatever herbs we have available, maybe mint or lemon thyme.

Wont use up a lot of carrots but how about carrot cake or cupcakes?

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Carrot cake, carrot and cinnamon muffins, slice the carrots, blanch and freeze, carrot sticks in the fridge to munch on.

Banana bread, banana and chocolate muffins, banana custard, baked bananas,

8. Ah Bethannie - you are a life saver! I had no idea you could peel and freeze them. Marvellous [​IMG] I'll never waste another banana again.
    As for grilling them with alcohol I only have beer and wine in the house so that might not work out too well!
    THe carrot salad idea is great but I have a hatred dried fruit unfortunately. Could easily add them to a different salad though.
    Unfortunately I don't have a juicer otherwise the carrot juice idea would've been perfect.
    Thanks for the suggestions!

9. Drooling as we speak!!

10. That side dish sounds amazing! Alas I won't kid myself that I'll ever make it.....I live alone and that seems to much work / I am too lazy to do a lovely side dish for one. Might attempt it when cooking for friends though.

11. And then I found this. I thought the commenter's suggestion of keeping the crumbs to serve separately so the texture would be right when using leftovers was really good.
    http://www.chow.com/recipes/13499-creamy-carrot-casserole
    And I'm looking further at this site, not been here before.

12. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

We get through quite a lot of carrots considering that most of the time there are just the two of us. The number has increased since I began experimenting with different ways to cook them. Personally, I'm not overly-fond of the barely cooked carrot so most of the recipies cook the carrots until they are soft.
    Obviously, you can caramelise them, but adding ginger or sliced mushrooms gives a different flavour. I might cook carrots with swede then mash with butter and bake it to dry out a little. I add them to bubble and squeek and every caserole I cook. I remember once making a starter of grated carrot with a vinagrette dressing that was far nicer than I had expected.
    Oh, and mrs modelmaker has a rabbit...

13. henriette

henriette New commenter

or you could freeze the carrots, too, for a week when they don't give you any!
    Cut them (sticks or rounds), lightly steam so they are still not quite done, dunk in cold water, frain, freeze.

14. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Ironically, we'd ran out of carrots when I went to cook our dinner this evening.