1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ban parking on pavements?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Sep 11, 2019 at 10:30 AM.

1. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

It seems this could be moving through the processes and be discussed and the law (which is presently just restricted to London) extended nationwide.

Seems reasonable to me but I'm not sure it can be or will be enforced beyond councils having a day out collecting fines every now and then.

But OK, over time it could become respected as with most new laws that call for big changes.

Stiltskin likes this.
  2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I thought there was already legislation which covered this - it just isn't enforced.

cissy3, knitone, TCSC47 and 1 other person like this.
  3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

In my five years living in this town, I haven't seen a traffic warden. Pavement parking is a real problem here.

4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I Know of side streets where everyone parks partly on the pavement. If they parked on the road bin lorries, delivery trucks etc couldn’t get through. If they park on the very slightly wider ‘main’ roads , these would become ‘single lane’ for a mile (or more) creating more traffic chaos and hold ups.
    The only solution is to go back 50+years and build the 1960s estates with 21st century parking provision.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Don't councils already mark areas in which pavement parking is allowed (it being banned if there is no signage)?

upload_2019-9-11_10-55-8.jpeg

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The problem where I live is off-road parking with two cars nose-to-tail on the driveways under the car ports with a third half on the driveway and half across the pavement.

Piranha likes this.
  7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Slightly different scenario, but connected.....

My residential road is very narrow. Some houses (like mine) have driveways, but most don't. If cars park purely on the road, it would make it impossible for emergency vehicles, lorries, refuse trucks, etc, to get by. If cars park on the road opposite my driveway, the road is so narrow I can't get my campervan out of my drive without a 25 point turn.

A couple of years ago my area was all leafleted by Farage's party. The local UKIP candidate was gleefully informing us he had gained permission for us to plant bushes & bulbs on the grass verge outside our houses to stop people parking there!

I wrote to point out that if the grass verge wasn't used for parking, it would be well nigh impossible for larger vehicles to get by and emergency vehicles would be hampered. Apparently, mine was the only critical correspondence he received.

Of course, the most sensible thing would be to removed the grass verges (which are largely mud in winter) and so widen the road, but as I live in the bankrupt council area, that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Sometimes the results of legislation aren't thought through. The law of unintended consequences kicks in.

ETA BUT some people are just downright selfish in where they park, and make it impossble for disabled people and those with buggies etc to get by. They are the ones who should be fined, because there is always a way to park which doesn't so obstruct pedestrians.

sbkrobson and nomad like this.
  8. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

It is indeed a grey area although not in London - immediate fine and death penalty. (Maybe not the latter but no-one except tourists would dare park on the pavement in London).

The proposals are to make it all as in London but I think the reason things are more relaxed outside of the big city is the law (I think?) also says you must not restrict emergency vehicle access....and that really is impossible in many towns.

Mind you, the Londoners with their narrow roads seem to know how to do it?

9. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Indeed - everyone knows when they park their car whether or not it is causing an obstruction. If it is, don't do it.

Sounds so, so simple and the most basic of manners and yet the fact the law might be changed/toughened up on this indicates quite a few of us do not have these most basic of abilities.

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I live on a B road, it is the route between two nearby towns and is quite busy at times, maybe 500-1,000 vehicles a day use it including at times tractors, combine harvesters (with the big sideways bit taken off first), crop sprayers etc. People often park on the pavements to avoid causing an obstruction to traffic. Foot traffic on the other hand is probably less than 50 a day and there is usually space to get by on the pavement. So whose obstruction should be prioritized?

11. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

My fear is indeed - as @chelsea2 touched upon - all that is happening is councils will now use the law to get some extra cash when they can.

In your case it won't matter how people are trying to help, it will only matter that by doing so they can be ticketed by the council.

12. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

London has essentially a blanket ban on pavement parking unless the local council has specifically permitted it in marked bays.

Elsewhere in England and Wales it's the other way round, no specific prohibition unless the local council has put a Traffic Regulation Order [TRO] in place specifically banning it in a particular area.

If, outside London, there is no TRO then there is no specific ban on pavement parking although depending on circumstances it might breach other laws, usually for causing an obstruction.

Stiltskin likes this.
  13. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

How does planting bulbs ( or even bushes stop parking.? Unless they are very mature shrubs people would still try to park near them - and probably knock them over or damage and thus kill them?)
    Whilst some people are thoughtless (and they don’t have to park on a pavement to be thoughtless) there is a real problem with parking and now they’re building estates with single lane roads and very limited parking -1 or perhaps 2 spaces per house so no visiting then?
    Of course people could be encouraged to use public transport.....
    ........oh there isn’t any

chelsea2 likes this.
  14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

This is what I was thinking of (my bold):
    At the moment, it is only illegal for lorries to stop on pavements outside of the capital, although drivers who park their car in a dangerous position, or cause an unnecessary obstruction to other road users, can still be fined.
    https://inews.co.uk/essentials/lifestyle/cars/car-news/pavement-parking-fine-possible-new-laws/

Properly enforced, this would cover parking on the pavement which causes problems for pedestrians while where there is no obstruction it wouldn't be an issue.
    A compromise which already exists - no need for further 'sledgehammer to crack a nut' legislation.

lizziescat likes this.
  15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

What a bet that MP's don't have to park in the road.
    Where I live in london many many parking places have been lost to bicycle lanes. Mind you the council thinks everyone should walk ,cycle or get a bus.
    However, in the outskirts kerb parking is allowed but getting rid of this would mean problems in some roads and further restriction of parking on one side of the road to enable vehicles to pass.

16. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I'm fairly sure this applies only in London. I think most London boroughs enforce the ban fairly ruthlessly and see it more as a way of raising money than any issue about causing an obstruction.

17. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Its only against the law in London at the moment but is being decided soon to cover all of England.

Its becoming far more common as more and more cars are on the road - more parking required - and causing obstruction to blind people, disabled in buggies/wheelchairs, pushchairs, kids on scooters and so on If there's a car parked on the pavement and you have a buggy you have to go onto the road.

There's even at least 15 cars parked half on the road and half on the pavement outside my grandchildren's school - cars belonging to staff and parents collecting! There is enough room on this road for two cars! Kids scoot past on their pavement half as cars move onto the road to drive off! No one seems to care at all!

I think a law will be passed this time - in 2013 it was thrown out - because its so commonplace now - as for enforcement - people with cars don't generally care who they put in danger. Most are just out for themselves and they're own selfish convenience.

Of course we must make cycle and bus lanes a priority. They are the only way forward now. Near to where I live huge tracts of farming land have just been given over to massive swathes of new road. It is a travesty we can no longer stroll through that area along pretty country tracks now covered in concrete.

I am appalled by our car culture including the self-centered pavement parking habit now becoming so commonplace.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 9:46 PM
    Doitforfree likes this.
  18. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Although it is illegal to drive on or over a pavement unless it is to gain lawful access to a property. This law tends to get ignored though.

It will be interesting to see how parking changes with the introduction of electric cars.

border_walker likes this.
  19. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The way not to obstruct traffic on the road is not to park on the pavement, which is for pedestrians, but to park soemwhere else that is safer.

When they massively extended our local primary school they put in a new entrance with a huge dropping off area. I suggested to the planning people that locating the drop-off area half a mile away, with no parking or dropping off allowed anywhere near the school, would be much better for all the fat children who come to school in cars, and encourage them just to walk from their homes, none of which are beyond walking distance. The planning man agreed that it was insane to encourage people to drive to school but didn't believe that there was anyway of stopping people, so why even bother trying. Which I thought was pretty feeble.

ShowerGel likes this.
  20. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Ultimately, I think the principle that pavements should be for pedestrians is one that should be enforced.

But, as others have said, there are areas in some towns (possibly most) where a blanket ban would cause utter mayhem.

I can think of one such group of streets in a town I used to live in. You could barely get down the streets even with vehicles on the pavements. This is the result of all the houses being built directly on the street or with a three foot front garden and no access to the back gardens (without knocking down at least one house).

In one street near where we live the situation is similar but they have slightly bigger front gardens which they make very skilful and creative use of. I still wonder, when I go past, how they manage to get such big cars in such small front gardens. (such as a BMW between two garden walls with 1 foot in front and 1 foot behind)