1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ban drivers when they are 60?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, May 7, 2019.

1. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1123454/Older-driver-ban-road-uk-over-60

Seems a tad harsh to me!

Maybe we should ALL just accept driving has nothing to do with freedom as it is probably the most compromise needing activity we could or can do.

And so cut each other some slack.

Survey is not all one sided attacks on mature drivers, also strong votes for banning 17 year olds, too. (Although they get away with a one year ban)

Yes, only a survey but others taken do seem to be edging towards the same results.

2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Well, so much for 60 being the new 40! I'd better hand in my licence....

Jesmond12, border_walker and dumpty like this.
  3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

That'll cause unemployment to jump, given the increase in the state pension age and the fact that many people drive to work, as there's no other way.

Perhaps there'll be an increase in free public transport to compensate?

It'll also stuff a lot of holiday and tourist spots, not to mention camping & caravanning sites, as active older people must make up a high proportion of their visitors, especially out of peak periods.

But I think we're OK......

Neil Greig, IAM RoadSmart’s director of policy and research, said: “Not surprisingly, the survey shows that many people blame the old and the young for crashes when this is not always the case.

“In reality, new drivers are the most at risk group and older drivers are among the safest.

“Statistics do, however, show that drivers over 85 do start to have more crashes as their faculties fade and their experience is no longer enough to compensate.

border_walker likes this.
  4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Usual tripe to try and say older drivers are bad.If so why do insurance companies heavily peanalise 18-25 year olds so badly? If the ban older drivers many would b e marooned i thoerhomes as there are not good enough publi services to replace buses.

5. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

As chelsea2 says, how are the over 60s supposed to get to work?

6. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

You’ve forgotten about doing the school run, baby sitting, childcare whilst parents are at work, nursing said children when off school ill. etc.
    I’m guessing many of the 49% who want the ban are in the 25 -40 age group and will be using their over 60 parents for such activities - wonder how they’ll manage.

7. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

Mad. Might as well get to that care home right now......... I'm overdue it seems

Jesmond12 and nizebaby like this.
  8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Not to mention some over 60s caring for their own parents.

9. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I think all people (regardless of age) who drive BMWs of Audis should be automatically banned since I feel sure they cause the vast majority of accidents on Britain's roads. I heard a whisper that the dealerships for BMW and Audi have been instructed to give hefty discounts to customers who have a past conviction for dangerous driving.

border_walker likes this.
  10. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

HALF of British people would back a ban on drivers over the aged of 60 on the roads in Britain, according to a new survey.

Until it’s their fifty-eighth birthday, then they’ll probably decide that seventy should be the cut off.

11. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

According to the headline:

"Half of UK motorists would back BAN on drivers over 60 from British roads".

Well let's have a referendum then. It's the will of the people, and to not have one would be to subvert democracy.

12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Actually it would save more lives to ban all those under 25....or maybe even under 30!;)

13. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Indeed, this is where I scratch my head at these surveys. Older drivers tend to drive more slowly (and we are forever told speed kills) and on roads they know.

I was leaving Sainsbury's earlier with yes, loads of pensioners on the way out of the car park, all sticking to the admittedly silly 5 mph recommended limit....when suddenly a lad (I guess 25 or so) with the basketball cap backwards fitting comes flying along the line as if he were a motorbike, scaring everyone and forcing the oncoming cars to swerve out the way.

All to save sitting behind 10 or so cars, most of whom still got through the lights when they changed.

agathamorse and border_walker like this.
  14. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I expect car insurance companies have thoroughly researched the effect of age on risk before setting premiums.Look who gets the cheapest average:

[​IMG]

15. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Perhaps to save the environment it should be the other way around, sort of... Elderly and disabled people allowed to drive and everyone else forbidden...

border_walker, dleaf12 and nizebaby like this.
  16. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

The article does fly in the face of the evidence that older drivers have fewer accidents. It is probably slightly to do with my (small) measure of OCD but I rarely if ever allow anyone else to drive. I cannot cope with people who have no clue directionally of where they are trying to go to. I really believe that adds to the accident toll. People driving along myopically trying to read direction signs and then work out exactly which turn they should take. As geographic knowledge in this country is extremely lacking in the under 45s.... you can add that to the list of reasons why some people should be prevented from driving. Sat navy do not always help that issue either !

My father didn't have great vision and had a poor directional sense and my ex and all his family were dire! (my ex sister in law was at Lancaster on the M6 before she realised she had gone the wrong way for Warrington) I really do not know how some people pass a driving test and I would add to that test an element of navigating!

agathamorse likes this.
  17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I reckon Farage must be on holiday, making it a slow news day for the Express. They'll have been scratching their heads for nonsense to fill that slot.

EmanuelShadrack and needabreak like this.
  18. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Indeed - I do wonder how many 59 year olds they asked or even those in the cull group itself.

And the headline is the usual spin to get feathers ruffled....half of the British people did not get asked, probably a 1000 or so AND of those it was 49% who backed the ban.

Agree they are provocatively spinning the results but it is taken from a YouGov poll and a quick google seems to suggest other like surveys have come back with the same sentiments.

It might be this was all done with links/timed to Prince Phillip recently coming close to taking someone out and the rage that followed when the police decided there was nothing to see here.

19. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Its funny how driving standards have now got worse* and there are more younger drivers on the road in high powered cars then there used to be.

*PS the evidence for this fact is based on my opinion its not safe to ride a motorbike to work now (with 40 years experience) so it must be true.

20. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

If over-sixties are not safe to drive, how are they competent to work? Bring down the retirement age, say I.