1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ban Christmas cards?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bonxie, Dec 4, 2019 at 6:46 PM.

1. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...ane-primary-school-lincolnshire-a9231971.html
    Some of the parents in this article are 'outraged' by the thought that their children are being discouraged from sending dozens of cards to their classmates. I bet some are relieved though. My own offspring hated writing Christmas cards but felt they had to write them because everyone else was sending them and they didn't want to offend others by not sending any out. Many adults have given up sending cards due to the expense. Apart from all the paper used for Christmas cards, there's the plastic glitter that inevitably ends up all over the floor and half the playground too. I wonder if this relatively modern tradition will slowly die out.

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I've never sent Christmas cards, never seen the point to them

grumpydogwoman and Kandahar like this.
  3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

We keep in minimum touch with distant friends through christmas cards. This enables us to meet up occasionally and keep up-to-date with news (we don't do round robins, though!) Are you talking about banning cards in schools?

4. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

The only people I send cards to are those who I want to keep in touch with a little bit but don't really see e.g. Uncle who lives far away, old friends who have moved away who I just want to maintain a bit of contact with. I don't send them to people I see on a regular basis e.g neighbours and everyday friends. When the price of a stamp jumped rapidly I stopped sending so many and my Christmas card list is now down to about 10.

nizebaby likes this.
  5. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

If you are a Christian, Christmas is one of the most important festivals. Sending Christmas cards is part of the tradition and celebration. Don't send them if you don't want to, but don't deny Christians the right to follow their traditions and customs. We are lucky to have the freedom of choice in this country. If you want to send them, do so. If not don't.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 7:04 PM
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

There was never anything Christian about Christmas Cards though. On the contrary, right from the first commercial cards in the 1840s, they were more a celebration of older, pagan, themes - feasting etc.

But yes of course people should be (and are) free to continue their Christmas traditions and send cards. I send loads! But not a trace of religious sentiment in any of them.

In fairness to OP I think the thread started about a primary school that wanted to ban pupils sending cards to everyone in their class and restrict them to sending just one card addressed to the whole class. No-one is proposing banning cards generally.

towncryer and Mangleworzle like this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I like Christmas cards, I like getting them though I'm pretty bad at sending them. The good thing about Christmas is it's for everyone and not just Christians.

Rott Weiler and (deleted member) like this.
  8. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

There are very few Christmas traditions that have anything whatsoever to do with Christianity and that includes the date. Some Christians will not celebrate Christmas because of that. It is not even a major Christian festival but more of an belated addon. (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em type thing)

For me this is what makes Christmas a unique celebration, you can clebrate it any way you want regardless of belief, if you're are a Christian then go ahead knock yourself out, if not then go ahead knock yourself out. Just make sure there's no plastic on the cards though.;)

towncryer and ajrowing like this.
  9. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Some people like to send/receive Christmas cards and some don't. It's good that those who want to take part in this are able to but nobody should feel that they have to if they don't want to.

I feel sorry for the children who feel obliged to write out lots of cards even though they don't want to and really aren't bothered about receiving any.

Cards with plastic bits on them are even worse for the environment than the glittery ones. Perhaps the school in the original article should have discouraged cards with plastic on them and encouraged anyone really keen on sending cards to make sure they are completely recyclable.

towncryer likes this.
  10. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Established commenter

Schools should ban Christmas cards. End of.

11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Girlie came out with 3 today. She was delighted

sparklepig2002, Jamvic and smoothnewt like this.
  12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Fifty years later and I still remember the magic of posting Christmas cards in the cardboard post box in the morning at primary school and the excitement of receiving one or two when the “postie” delivered them to the classroom in the afternoon.
    I still enjoy sending and receiving them.

13. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Many Christians send cards with pictures of the nativity or related images on them at Christmas. The cards are sent to show that you are thinking of the recipient while celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ, so have everything to do with Christianity.

needabreak and sparklepig2002 like this.
  14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Me too (now you've reminded me!).

Sending cards is an innocent excitement for kids, choosing who gets which picture, writing more on some than others, most of them just write their name anyway, it's hardly an onerous task.

The entire combined card content of even the most prolific card sender is probably less than what goes into a single packing box that a Christmas present comes in. It seems that every aspect of Christmas (and every other holiday) gets cast into doubt these days, usually by people that I suspect never enjoyed that aspect they are trying to stop others enjoying.

15. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Why? If a child wants to give their friend a card, why shouldn't they? My children gave cards to their friends because they wanted to. They didn't feel they had to give them to the whole class. It's yet another "let's stop people having fun and go back to the Stone Age" attitude.
    My class used to love being the post monitors for the day-emptying the box, sorting and delivering to the rest of the school.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 10:11 PM
  16. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

I vividly remember this tradition from primary school too. It was a big part of the countdown to Christmas and loads of fun getting classroom deliveries from the ‘cardboard box wrapped in red crepe paper’ post box each day. Christmas cards and envelopes are easily recycled and most younger kids really enjoy bringing home and proudly displaying their own cards alongside those from family.

17. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I’m in favour of anything that gets children holding a pencil and writing!

18. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

This, definitely!

19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I do make an effort to send a card with a Christian theme to my Christian friends.

Re the school thing - I am from a poor family and my parents could not afford to give me cards for schoolfriends. You don't give, you don't get. Apart from the couple of kids who as a matter of course sent one to everyone, when the red cardboard post box was emptied, I was the saddo with none, not the princess with the pile.

Perhaps this is another effort to make sure no child feels left out.

Lalad likes this.
  20. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

I was always one of the kids who sent everyone in the class a Christmas card. Even as a youngster I hated thinking of anyone being left out.