1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BAME SLT members of staff could help alleviate issues in some schools.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by mark_oviri1, Mar 15, 2020.

1. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

Mmmm ... so the 'shouty boys' hang out here too ... :)

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

No you can not rule it out, any more than you can rule out that those white British's careers progression is sometimes negatively effected because of their ethnicity. What the report shows is there is not evidence to say that on average there is a significant difference in the progression of teachers based on their ethnicity. That when taken as a group, progression between different ethnic groups is largely the same (within a few percentage points whose difference can be attributed to random factors).

I hadn't noticed you had gone off on a tangent. I still thought you were wondering about the cause for the disparity in the number of HT who are BAME. In which case you can not say that the reason which is stopping BAME staff from progressing is racism , because the report shows there is no significant difference in the progression between the groups. Where racism occurs it is not a factor that is causing one group to benefit significantly over the other. So I suggest the disparity has been getting BAME to become teachers in the first place. Smaller pools mean less going on to headship. As the pools get bigger then it will increase. The lack of BAME teachers may be in part due to the gap in that group's attainment gap at university.

alex_teccy likes this.
  3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Perhaps if you sent us all some unicycles we wouldn't want to post as much ;)
    (What did you think of the unicycle act on BGT?)

circuskevin and alex_teccy like this.
  4. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Lead commenter

At last

I never said it was.

5. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

BB75BFD1-06DE-4BBF-AB64-1389E15B0887.jpeg

It’s clearly not a black and white issue.

I’ll get my goat.

Stiltskin likes this.
  6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

What's your goat called?

7. alex_teccy

Boaty McBoat Face

8. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Back in the days when I worked in inner city London comprehensives, it did. And it worked really well. But that was in the days when we had a government that actually cared about the state system. Needless to say, many of the excellent BAME SLT have moved on to pastures greener since.

9. circuskevin

Ta. I shall have to go and watch it on 'catch up'.

10. circuskevin

I liked the way he said the world record is 19 feet ... that's 22 feet!

A unicycling hooligan was riding backwards up my street on a 5 foot giraffe unicycle once. His ankle tag was clearly visible at eye level as he passed by ... :)

Nice to watch some of the magic acts too on BGT.

I'll have to tune in to see how he gets on with the 35 foot version.

Kevin

11. circuskevin

It would probably have been better had @mark_oviri1 introduced himself to this forum before coming on and demanding changes.

What does anyone know about him? Indeed can he unicycle?

It is almost exclusively white working class boys I have taught locally. The best lad however was mixed race. He was telling me about the racial origins of his relatives once. He finally concluded ... "Kevin ... I'm a mongrel!:)".

Longer term engagement would probably have been better for @mark_oviri1 to have gained a more positive experience.

alex_teccy likes this.
  12. alex_teccy

Why not PM him?

13. circuskevin

Hi Alex,

Mark has probably gone for good! He can read my comment if ever does return.

It is more of a general observation. Forums are full of strange and quirky people. You have to understand more about the person giving the opinion even if they do agree with you.

People should hang around a bit to give themselves a bit of credibility too. Reassure people that their ideas will benefit all and not just themselves.

Kevin