1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Balsamic Vinegar

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by snorkellinginthesea, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Hi
    I have just bought a good balsamic vinegar from Waitrose which said it was 'reduced' however it is still not as thick as I would like it. Can anyone recommend a sweet balsamic vinegar that is thicker?

Thanks

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Belazu's is very good, like all of their range:
    http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/Oils_And_Vinegar/Belazu_Aged_Balsamic_Vinegar_250ml.html
    It's very thick and rich.
    I must admit we don't use much balsamic vinegar. Its recent surge in popularity means it's the most overused condiment on the planet, in my opinion. I despair at the amount of dishes that have a "drizzle" of balsamic vinegar over them, for no apparent good reason, meaning the vinegar bullies all of the other flavours.
    Try this one though, as it's very good when used judiciously.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

If you buy a balsamic reduction or glaze it will be thicker.
    I disagree with Nick as I find a small (and I mean small) splash of balsamic adds flavour to many dishes and doesn't overpower.
    Best of all is a dish of extra virign olive oil, a dish of good balsamic and fresh ciabatta bread to dip.
    Yummy!!!

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Yes of course - sorry for going off on one, I wasn't attempting to convey that you are using it to be fashionable!
    I can see why you might use it on a diet. Try a sprinkle of it on steak once fried - it complements the flavours beautifully.
    Hope I didn't cause offence.

5. Hi nick909,
    Definately no offence taken as I agree with you about it being fashinable and on everything!
    I hadn't thought of putting it on steak, but that sounds lovely so will go out and buy some steak today! My diet doesn't allow normal vinegar - so will stick with the balsamic.[​IMG]

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'm curious about a diet that only allows balsamic vinegar!

7. Hi Inky,
    The diet is one where there is no sugar, dairy, wheat/gluten, caffiene, alcohol or carbohydrates allowed. It is like a detoxing bootcamp. I am in week 3. I am unable to eat dairy anyway due to allergies, but as someone with a very sweet tooth I found giving up the sugar hard. The reasons for the lack of sugar is to stop insulin spikes which cause you to put on fat. You can have brown rice but only on bootcamp days. As it is the school holidays I have ignored this diet when out for lunch where alcohol has been consumed! In the each week I have lost an inch from waist, hips and thighs each so quite happy to carry on.[​IMG]

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Interesting, but I still don't see the difference between balsamic andother vinegars. Please enlighten me!

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Try these.....they are scrummy!
    http://www.theverybestfood.co.uk/category/Oils___Vinegars/Balsamico_Flavoured_Balsamics,b.html
    Imaginative Cuisine also do lovely foams for use on sweet or savoury. The banana foam is good with sticky toffee pud and I also use the raspberry one. Rather like the look of the black truffle foam and the porcini mushroom one (both sadly out of stock at the mo!)

10. Thanks Belle - will check them out!

Oh and I have no idea why balsamic and not other vinegars. x