1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Balloon model help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by char2505, Jun 12, 2011.

1. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Hi, I fancy working with my new class (Y1) to make a birthday display on transition day. Want to do hot air balloons with month below and children models in basket. I don't have any washing lines as the ceilings are really high, so wanted a hot air balloon shape (or just a sphere) cut in half vertically (a semi-sphere?!) to stick on wall so it is 3D display. Hope this makes sense! An ideas for what I could use for the half balloon shapes, please? I'm drawing a blank.
    Thanks
    Char.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Papier mache half a balloon? Or rather do the whole balloon and cut in half? The children could do it on transition morning.

3. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Thanks Minnnie. I'm doing papier mache with my existing class and it is taking forever, also we took too long and now the balloon has shrunk causing sag effect! I don't think I have enough time to do as only couple of hours with kids, Good idea though, will keep in back of mind!

4. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Hmm, although I suppose I could secretly finish over summer so ready for painting in September...

5. char2505

char2505 New commenter

And would only be 6 balloons, not 30! Am coming round to idea!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL At least you would get a more realistic balloon shape.

5 children per balloon and you'll be done in no time. Can't speak for the standard, so yes a bit of finishing off over the summer might work. Or just do them yourself over the summer...bit of relaxation and all that.

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

What about using honeycomb paper? This is one supplier:
    http://www.rapidonline.com/1/1/5635-honeycomb-paper.html
    When I read your post I thought about the Christmas decorations we had as a child. They had two pieces of card with the honeycomb paper inbetween - when you pulled the card apart it created a bell shape. You could just pull the honeycomb paper to 180 degrees rather than 360.
    Have a look here for some pads that you can cut to shape:
    http://www.bakerross.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=E326&src=froogle

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Use different coloured tissue then you don't have much decorating to do