1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Balloon display help!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by char2505, Jun 12, 2011.

1. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Hi, I fancy working with my new class (Y1) to make a birthday display on transition day. Want to do hot air balloons with month below and children models in basket. I don't have any washing lines as the ceilings are really high, so wanted a hot air balloon shape (or just a sphere) cut in half vertically (a semi-sphere?!) to stick on wall so it is 3D display. Hope this makes sense! An ideas for what I could use for the half balloon shapes, please? I'm drawing a blank.
    Thanks
    Char.

2. I have a similar display for my reception class! I got some balloons with months on from ******.com and then found a photo of a basket to attach with string. I put photos of my children in the baskets and then put clouds with their names and the days of their birthdays around each balloon.

If you wanted it 3d though, you could papier mâché half a balloon and decorate it?

Maddie x

3. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Thanks Maddie! Would only have time to do one layer of mache and no decorating so was hoping for a simpler option X.

4. I just made balloons out of coloured card, laminated them and then stapled the right and left sides to the wall but so that they stuck out. Hope that makes sense.

5. HI, I did something similar without papier mache. cut 2 balloon shapes (sugar paper) decorate one side staple together but insert some paper scraps to pad them out. Attach to wall using a section of cardboard tube cut to splay out at either end so it can be stuck to surfaces. Does that sound clear? - it does work eve

6. char2505

char2505 New commenter

THanks guys - great ideas!

7. This year (reception) i have the hot air balloon which the children decorated with all sorts from the creative area on transition day.
    I then put their photograph (head and shoulders) into the basket and put their name and the date of their birthday on it.
    I will be doing it again this year because the display is so effective!