1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Balaclava boys - year 4 issue and dilemmas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Joi, May 2, 2008.

1. Joi

Joi New commenter

Picking gooseberries!

2. There is some old planning exemplification for this unit on the standards site which has some useful ideas for using this story and others.

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primary/teachingresource...

Scroll down until you see:
    Y4T3 Issues and dilemmas 1
    Date of issue: Jul. 2003

This unit is built around a story The Balaclava Story and a poem I did a bad thing once. The unit starts by exploring the reading objectives and then moves into writing. Children produce a dilemma story and two reading journal entries.
    (NLS objectives: Y4T3, T1, T3, T10, T11, T20, T24, S1, S2, W1)

3. Ok, that is odd! Go to www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/ primary/teachingresources

then use the drop down menu to select Year 4 term 3.

Hope that works!

4. Thank you Joi and Furrycat. I am glad of your help :)

5. Goose gogging is goose berry picking I assume. We used to call gooseberries 'goose gogs' when I was little. Haven't read the book- am doing research for this unit myself!

6. Issues in this book we looked at were jealously (wanting the balaclava), peer pressure (wanting to fit in with the gang), stealing, honesty. May have been others but not taught y4 for 3 years!
    Activities included acting out then writing their own endings before reading the actual ending. Hot seating and conscience alley to explore what he should do when he was about to steal it / when he had stolen it.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

When I tried just now it didn't, but there is a unit entitled narrative Year 4 Unit 4 Autumn term Stories which raise issues /dilemmas

8. I think literacymatters.co.uk used that story for this unit so there is some planning on there

9. There's this here:
    http://schools.norfolk.gov.uk/myportal/custom/files_uploaded/uploaded_resources/1923/y4t3_unit2_C1001_B8067.pdf