1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baking soda

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by RW369, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Ok, 2 questions for those more knowledgable in these things.
    In my store cupboard I have baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. I hardly ever use either of them as very few recipies I make call for them. Baking powder seems to be used as a raising agent but what do you use them for? (I want to become a more instinctive cook but that's tricky if you don't know what things do)
    Second question is which (if either) are american recipies asking for when they say to use baking soda?
    I'm sure some of you will be able to enlighten me. Thanks.

2. Ok, 2 questions for those more knowledgable in these things.
    In my store cupboard I have baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. I hardly ever use either of them as very few recipies I make call for them. Baking powder seems to be used as a raising agent but what do you use them for? (I want to become a more instinctive cook but that's tricky if you don't know what things do)
    Second question is which (if either) are american recipies asking for when they say to use baking soda?
    I'm sure some of you will be able to enlighten me. Thanks.