1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bait, Switch and Bullying

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ZaraJaneMartin, Jul 10, 2019.

1. ZaraJaneMartin

ZaraJaneMartin New commenter

Sorry for such a heading but I just experienced the worst nightmare abroad.

I applied for a KS3/4 (I am a secondary teacher-humanities) but when I got there, I was put into the daycare center. Within a month, I was observed. I got the most scathing feedback ever. Not one single comment was positive. The administrator said he would follow-up in a couple of weeks

Fast forward to April. I was asked back for the next year to teach my area of qualification. The vice-principal invited me back.
    End of May: I get a letter stating I need to be observed for the desired position.
    That same afternoon, I get a termination letter.

How would you respond?

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Get another job. This is appalling behaviour. They are not going to listen to reason (they do not have any) and therefore you need to get on a plane asap.

yasf and bonxie like this.
  3. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Escape ASAP.

4. ZaraJaneMartin

Thanks for your swift response. I had no choice to leave. They terminated me.
    Also, under duress, I signed papers in Russian without a proper translation.
    I am investigating the head right now. I found some inconsistencies about his past. And my last night there, I found that he was only a supply teacher in the UK. Never a senior head, and does not hold a Masters of Education-Mathematics. Flat out lie.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Leave it all behind. Move on. Look to the future. You made a mistake going there, but there is no point in beating yourself up. We have all made some silly choices, at some point or another, so move on to something better.

6. ZaraJaneMartin

Thanks for the nice statement, but it is still a blemish on my CV. And it so late, I am afraid I will not have a job for next year.

7. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

Sorry this happened to you, just put down you were travelling. Also there is sometimes new hires that don’t take up or others that didn’t return for good reasons. So vacancies might still pop up. I would still apply and make sure you research better.

8. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

Sorry this has happened to you and so last minute too! I am sure you will find something, but what a pain! Good luck!

9. 576

576 Established commenter

So what you learn from this is to do your research beforehand, not after.

10. 1stSgtWelsh

1stSgtWelsh New commenter

Sorry that you had such a bad experience Zara. I'd echo the advice of others and just move on. I'm sure you will be able to find something next year, especially if you are open to the less desirable locations. Besides, it sounds like it would be hard to do worse than what you've already been through.

It doesn't have to be such a blemish on your CV. How long were you there for? If it was a relatively short time then you don't have to put it in. You weren't teaching your subject area or age level so you could even argue that your experience there isn't that relevant. I've done plenty of jobs that are not listed on my current CV because they don't matter. Who cares whether I worked as a bartender twenty years ago? Just be prepared to have an answer in regards to what you were doing at that time. If it is asked then I'd just tell the truth. You were doing day care work, for not very good employers, you didn't particularly like it, you left and are now hoping to get a proper teaching position in your field.

11. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Focus on your future. Move away from what they did and whether they are legitimate. It will only keep you in your angry frustrated mindset longer, hurting you but not them.
    Good riddance. Onwards and upwards.

12. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

T0nyGT and 1stSgtWelsh like this.
  13. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Sell whatever you can, get a plane ticket and get out as fast as you can.

Why waste your time? Brush up your CV. Send your CV to all the places that you fancy working at. With a bit of luck someone might not turn up or have to leave for personal reasons. jobs at nice international schools can arise 'late in the day'. Don't assume that a closed door will not open if you knock. You might have to try quite a lot ... applying for a job is a bit of a numbers game.

14. ZaraJaneMartin

Thanks again! I will try to take on board your advice. The video particularly cheered me up!

15. ZaraJaneMartin

Love it. Thanks

16. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

If your username is your real name I recommend that you change your username asap. All the best for the future.

17. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

Sorry you experienced such an appalling treatment. I wouldn’t know what to do in a daycare centre and would have left immediately. As already suggested, pack your things and LEAVE. You’ll definitely find something else that gives you joy and happiness in your profess also life. I hope they’re not owing you? Even if they’re you still need to move on.