1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bahrain

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by teachersn, Jan 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. teachersn

teachersn New commenter

What do people know of Bahrain? It seems not to be mentioned much on here.

Are schools good? or is there a good school but lots to avoid?

Any insight into the St school?

2. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

Turned down the BS with an extra B at the end school. They loved to say how prestigious they were. They were by far the worst of three offers I got in 2018 and one of the worst schools I have ever dealt with. 2400 pounds a month plus 500 pounds accommodation. Total waste of time. learnt never to apply for a "competitive salary" again. They cannot get maths/chemistry/physics (rightly so) and have used every dodgy agency out there.

Since talked to the former head of one of the big departments who confirmed the awful reviews on *** and said the place is a car crash. By their accounts the St school pays more but is just as bad.

3. PJ1984

PJ1984 New commenter

My mate worked at the St school for 5 years and loved it. He was in the primary section though. I also got offered a job from the other one but politely declined due to the awful package.

4. PuertaDelVino

PuertaDelVino New commenter

WHy do they call it a package? A package is a wrapped up thing or a holiday with a hotel and flight.
    What does package mean in terms of salary? WHat is -age anyway?

5. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

I am no expert and back in UK but did turn down in 2018 what I considered an acceptable package. It basically included everything except evening meal and I could have saved most of my wage. Accommodation/utilities including internet (but not cooking gas so I would have had to buy a gas canister every month), breakfast and lunch for helping out with meal duty for six weeks, private healthcare and a gym membership at a downtown hotel (it was a hardship posting in Africa and this almost sealed the deal). That was what I considered a "package".