1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bahrain ISR

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by QwertyBert, Apr 16, 2019.

1. QwertyBert

QwertyBert New commenter

Had an interview with one of the less than saintly British schools and mentioned ISR, glossed over might be the phrase...Said interviewer was one of the ones mentioned as being below par. Am I right to be wary? They are advertising again.

2. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 New commenter

If it's the same school I'm thinking of, an ex colleague worked there and she was highly critical.

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I would not ignore red Mine Field warning triangles when out for a walk! Some people do survive walking across such areas but many get a foot and their genitals damaged as result of ignoring the warning signs.

ruthwill500 likes this.
  4. teacher1332

teacher1332 New commenter

Completely agree! You do have to use your own judgment when reading the individual reviews on ISR, but if the overall consensus is negative then there is a reason and you ignore at your peril.

5. swsimp160

swsimp160 Occasional commenter

I was the one who published that particular ISR review and turned the job down (I am Maths/Chemistry). The offer was 2400 pounds/month (they would match my current salary in UK. I had just turned down a job in Sharjah at 3350 pounds a month ) and 450 dinar a month for accommodation. An awful offer that, after pensions, would have left me much worse off than in the UK.

They advertise constantly and cannot get maths teachers for very very good reasons. Search will not touch them and they have gone through more or less every agency out there.

There is a huge amount of information out there on this place and they seem to represent just about everything wrong with the worst of international schools.

Good luck

abikuwait likes this.
  6. swsimp160

Are they still telling applicants, every chance they get, how prestigious they are?

abikuwait likes this.
  7. february31st

Poor reviews on the ISR do impact a schools recruiting I am very glad to say. Ignore the reviews at your peril when considering employment at a particular ivory tower.

I enjoy reading the grovelling entries from management added to explain how a school has changed for the better and is now a paradise of educational virtue and honesty.

No school or individual has successfully taken the ISR to court over any review posted, a few postit notes get stuck on every now again but that's about all that can be done. Some of the schools mentioned have very deep pockets to employ legal advocates to deal with situations but the ISR sails on.

If schools improved their attitudes to their staff and became more honest and fair with teachers poor reviews would disappear quickly.

8. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

ISR itself can be a bit hit and miss - I know of a couple of schools whose pages have been hit by a couple of discontented staff, which doesn't always show the full picture.

This particular school does seem to be resting on past glories, though. They were prestigious about 7 or 8 years ago, and the previous head was well respected in the ME though. I taught a couple of kids in Egypt who'd been there and they and their parents thought highly of it at that time. The head left, and things seemed to change after that.

9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It is the case that the ISR reviews have often passed their "sell by" date. In some cases, yes, the school has improved and so a lot of the criticisms are no longer true. Sometimes, however, an old review is just as true and as relevant as it ever was. Nothing has changed and the same loonies are still in charge of their own asylum, so nothing will improve. Some teachers try to be optimistic and say, "Well, this is an old review and so everything must be much better now." I do not agree.

Yes, I would agree with february31st that some schools are willing to pay extortionate legal fees in a vain attempt to sue the ISR or at least get them to spill the beans about who posted that poisoned pen review. Usually the whole thing backfires and it makes the school look even more stupid and mean-minded.

10. february31st

When a long term well respected head/principal leaves a school, the owners generally shout “thank god we got rid of the interfering old bastered”. The ex principal has been running the school with excellent management, respects the staff, appreciates the hard work of everyone, spends money on resources and generally runs a tight ship.

But now the owners can actually start to run the school for themselves and make a BIGGER PROFIT. Some figure head from Bradford Inner City Academy is hired to bring the educational stanards up to the current UK levels, while the owners slash pay, conditions, requisition budgets and staff morale in half.

Bye bye school....I have seen new heads/principals come in a totally ruin a good school overnight.

Have also seen good heads/principals come into a bad school and turn them around in a couple of years. Good schools go downhill faster then they can climb to the top it would appear.

11. swsimp160

amysdad: “They were prestigious about 7 or 8 years ago”.

There is a huge difference between “prestigious” in the ME and on the “circuit” and prestigious in a country like the UK/Canada/Oz. Few, if any, particularly in promoted posts, at “prestigious” in ME or the circuit would, for example, get through the door at private prestigious in UK or Canada/Oz. Just read the posts on the person with a degree in exercise science offered a job as a science teacher on “the circuit”. Standards, and the people involved on the circuit, are often enough to make those passionate about teaching weep.

12. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

When has OZ EVER been prestigous?

And this little nugget is just a load of *******
    Im also wondering how you would know any of this.
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

13. swsimp160

Plenty of top drawer private schools in Oz and selective entry state Grammar schools exclusively IB presenting 120 plus kids with results averaging IB 37 plus for the cohort. Certainly take it over that centre of excellence that is Egypt. Turned down three separate offers including this “prestegious” school. Just couldn’t bring myself down to that level.

Certainly the old school private I work for in the UK wouldn’t touch someone from the “circuit” and certainly not with recent experience in Egypt.

14. swsimp160

amysdad google Will do. You could start with Queensland Academies or Churchie/Brisbane if you want to see what a world class school looks like. Certainly in a different league to Egypt.

15. dumbbells66

The only kids i have taught that were more useless than British kids, were Australian. But i must admit that i have only taught kids from the Perth area. Dumd as a box of rocks.

And your sweaping statement of "Standards, and the people involved on the circuit, are often enough to make those passionate about teaching weep." Is just total carp. Admittedly i have never taught at a private school in the UK, but you have never taught on the circuit, not that that has stopped you commenting about it mind you.

All the proper schools i have worked in have been far far far far superia to any state school i have taught in.....and there have been quite a few.

16. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

I do have international experience and can say first hand that in an awful lot of places what goes on in international schools is simply awful. Good international schools these days are very few and very far between. Many with international experience can give examples of teachers being told to simply change grades, schools not providing visas, withholding payments/wages and one 'school' I know who had open book IB finals. Nice! This behaviour is now widespread, as is general insanity from SMT in international schools. Certain areas should not be ran for profit. Healthcare and education being two. In my experience the international scene is going sharply down hill and it is my belief that those who teach in it will increasingly be viewed as second rate.

Dumbells describing kids as 'useless', and their implied generalization that this speaks for all UK and Australian children, speaks for itself. Some may well be more suited to the international circuit than more regulated countries.

17. dumbbells66

At least you have worked on the circuit. @swsimp160 hasnt. Everyone can have an opinion, just as long as they have actual experience of what they are talking about.

18. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

I am not defending anyone but is my understanding, from reading their posts, that they do have experience of the circuit and those involved with it. The experiences they describe are now the norm in my opinion/experience. There is certainly no hidden stash of 'tier one' schools that only the select few are parly to. Most are now greed driven.

Oh, and you describing kids as 'useless' tells me all I need to know about you as a teacher and your suitability for international teaching.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  19. dumbbells66

Been doing it for 11 years on 3 continents. My career is fine thank you very much.

20. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Get off your high horse. Judging by your comment you haven't ventured out nor has your career taken you to Australia. The fact that Australian private schools do not rent their name to be tarnished by the international circuit and adopt Starbucks' business plan speaks volume.

As for explicitly calling the hand that feed you and your family "dumb as a box of rocks" is well....... Yes, you are entitled to your opinion but let's not offend the hands that feed all teachers (and families) the $$$£££ they enjoy.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    ruthwill500 likes this.