1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bah humbug!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kibosh, Dec 13, 2015.

1. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

If you feel like a moan about all the festive related hype . . . . .

• Since when does Christmas pudding have to be 'matured for 18months'? There was a day when 'soaked in brandy' was a perfectly adequate selling point.
    • Jacobs Cheesonal Biscuits!! They taste exactly the same, but are cut into bell and snowman shapes.
    • Deluxe this and Indulgent that. Just stop it.

[​IMG]

Anyone else?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm not a Christian as I've said on here before, indeed I'm an atheist... but the complete absence of Christ and the Christian message in any of the Christmas material I have seen ... that really irritates me. Why isn't there a manger/nativity scene in the town centre? Or an image of Jesus... it won't offend anyone! [well ok it'll offend some people but they can **** off]

ScotSEN, Noja, midnight_angel and 5 others like this.
  3. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Christmas tree shaped crumpets (pikelets)

Why?

Christmas doormats. Why spend money on a doormat that can only be used briefly?

RedQuilt, aspensquiver and kibosh like this.
  4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Driving home the other night I noticed that a house in the middle of nowhere had, rather surprisingly, created an outdoor nativity scene. It was rather splendid and kitsch. I need to go back sometime and take a photo.

ScotSEN, Noja, midnight_angel and 4 others like this.
  5. gameofdrones

gameofdrones Established commenter

I don't eat any of this stuff.

I want a sausage roll and a bit of cheese with mustard on it.

ScotSEN likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Do get a photo @kibosh

When I lived in the USA there were many illuminated nativity scenes laid out on peoples front lawns.

There were also huddles of highly offended people crying as well but we just hit them with the car [this is a joke, there weren't and we didn't]

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

There are a few round here most years.

lanokia likes this.
  8. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

For many good reasons, OH is a real humbug at this time of year, but occasionally I wish he'd lighten up and relax. A couple of years ago I spotted a Bah Humbug badge, complete with flashing lights. in a card shop. I bought one for him and gave it to him on Christmas morning.

The lights didn't work!!

I fell about laughing as it was so apt, but he hit the roof!! Sorry, but I just couldn't make out if he was angry at the badge, or that the lights didn't work, or both!!!! :confused:

:D

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I don't get this either. Buying jumpers you can only wear for a very short period of time; special plates, etc - ditto. More and more money spent on clutter.

RedQuilt, aspensquiver and kibosh like this.
  10. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

There always has been one in my city. The same figures since I was kid!

aspensquiver and lanokia like this.
  11. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

There is a plethora of 'festive' loo rolls, *sigh*

cissy3 and aspensquiver like this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Granted, could just be my area...

13. Spiritwalkerness

Ditto. However, I have no idea which bit of the city it's now located. I think it might be 'uphill' where the posh folk live ;)

14. Dragonlady30

You are SO right about this perception that someone, anyone will be offended.

Did anyone bother asking if offence would be caused if.......................?

If the answer is yes, ask why. If no, just get on with it!!!!

It makes me SO :mad:

:) XXX

aspensquiver and lanokia like this.
  15. Spiritwalkerness

@lanokia - exceptional timing with your post #12

lanokia and Dragonlady30 like this.
  16. Middlemarch

And it's not the potentially offended who make any sort of fuss, because - actually - they are not and will not be offended.

Of the 6 schools in which I taught, the one where I got the largest quantity (and it was largest by a very large margin) of cards and gifts at Xmas from kids was when I taught in the school in the East End of which 95% of the kids were practising Muslims. They gave each other Xmas cards (and sometimes presents), too.

InkyP, cissy3, RedQuilt and 2 others like this.
  17. Dragonlady30

BIB You are SO right and this has always been my experience too.

What wonderful Christmas celebrations you had!!

18. Middlemarch

*Decides to bang on a bit more*

It's all ludicrous. I'm atheist, but (a) enjoy Christmas as a festival, (b) love all the elements of it, including the religious ones (carols - what's not to like?) and (c) encourage Christians to do it all, because it's one of their key festivals. No-one should be made to feel that this joyful festival is the least bit "offensive" to anyone.

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

From the Lidl Surprises brochure (I'm not Lidlist, btw, similar can be found from any supermarket)

Deluxe with Love range :mad: Really? What does that even mean.

cissy3 and lanokia like this.
  20. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

The phrase 'Christmas Comfort' to describe fleeces that you can buy all year round.

Everything is described as comfier, cosier, more pampered, more comforting. Have we all suddenly come down with some terrible illness?

cissy3 likes this.