1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bah. Drivers.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilystrange, Nov 9, 2015.

1. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

Happily about to pull out onto a busy roundabout after a few minutes wait. ******** on roundabout who was giving every impression of going straight on then decided to turn right without indicating. had to brake sharply as he swept in front of me, which resulted in a bump up my tail end.
    have all details etc, and no damage appears to have been done to either vehicle as very light bump. will be taking it in for a check though. other driver concerned that i was ok. have spoken to his firm and got photos etc.
    the idiot that caused it all had disappeared completely, oblivious.
    if i hadn't been stationary for a while and therefore hardly moving at all, he would have hit me pretty much right in the passenger door. no reason to even suspect he was going to drive into my path...
    silly person.
    anyway, am ok.
    though actually, i've not said a single swear word since.

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

That's awful. Glad you're okay.

3. emilystrange

me and the man who bumped me agreed that we were a bit lucky.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Even a little bump can feel big. The adrenaline gets going even for a near miss.

Nobody round here signals properly on roundabouts. I wait until I see wheels moving before I trust what people claim they are doing.

cissy3 likes this.
  5. emilystrange

well, that was it. he was already on the roundabout, coming from opposite, and in the lane to go straight on. would have been reasonable for me to pull out.

cissy3 likes this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

7. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Glad you're ok. I agree with Flere, the adrenaline can make even a tiny bump seem huge!
    I had my first accident in nearly 18 years of driving earlier this year. I was stationary at a junction and some idiot without insurance decided to come flying down the road, had to swerve to avoid a lorry turning across his path, and went directly into the side of my car with such force that it spun me nearly 180 degrees up onto the pavement. Luckily, it hit the wheel arch (and did £7ks worth of damage!!) and although it jammed the door shut, I was completely unhurt. Any further back and it could have been a very different story, especially as I was hugely pregnant at the time (gave birth 3 days later). Climbing out of the passenger door was not the easiest, nor the most graceful thing I've ever done! Plus my car was only 10 days old at the time and had less than 20 miles on the clock. :( Bah, drivers indeed! Treat yourself to something nice tonight!

8. emilystrange

i am now going for a bath. a big soaky one. two fingers up to marking.

bombaysapphire and ScotSEN like this.
  9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My daughter lives on a residential road off a large roundabout. Drivers travelling through at speed don't even seem to be aware that people might be coming out of or going into her road. I've had to jump on the brakes several times and try not to move until I see the whites of their eyes but some of them appear so quickly with no intention of stopping.

And don't get me started on the mini roundabout near me which doesn't exist at all for some drivers.

Glad you're OK.

cissy3 and emilystrange like this.
  10. emilystrange

@Orkrider2 good lord. that could have gone so very badly. *shiver*

cissy3 likes this.
  11. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

It seems to be a common if unwelcome occurrence. Glad to hear it was resolved so easily and without injury
    After a similar small knock last year my insurance company advised me that they would be offering a discount to drivers with front and rear camera systems.
    It would have to be a large discount given the price of such systems but I may still consider it.

12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Good to hear that there were no injuries, Emily.
    When I was learning to drive X years ago, my instructor told me not to trust another driver-assume they are all idiots!! I've never forgotten that advice!
    I have no idea why, but at roundabouts some drivers seem to act as though their indicators are just pretty lights, not there to INDICATE their direction of travel.
    Again, thank goodness you are not hurt.

13. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Orkrider, how dreadful on so many levels!!
    Virtual hugs!!!

cissy3 likes this.
  14. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

From experience I would have to say that most drivers do not know which lane they should be in, what signal to give, where to position properly, and who has right of way. It is a small wonder that there are so few accidents at roundabouts.

15. emilystrange

yeah... and not just at roundabouts. on our bypass, people just drift between lanes with no awareness of where people are and that they should let others know where they're going.

16. marlin

marlin Star commenter

You must be in shock Emily! ;):D

I'm so pleased that you have come to no harm. :)

Good for you. :)

I never trust indicators until I see drivers starting to turn the wheel too - something Mr Marlin told me when I started to learn to drive. It may make coming out at junctions a bit slower, but has saved me on several occasions.

emilystrange likes this.
  17. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Glad your ok Emily.

emilystrange likes this.
  18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Almost to the day this time last year, I reversed out of a supermarket parking bay at the same time a car a couple of bays down did.No probs, it happens all the time. I just stopped and waited for the car to move on. While I was waiting, I watched someone who ought to have let their guide dog drive their car, reverse into the side of my car.

She then drove back into the parking space. I got out to see what the damage was. Thankfully there wasn't any. As I was about to get back in my car, she got rather loud, swearing on her mother's life she hadn't hit me.

A conversation that should have lasted no more than five seconds ended up taking five minutes. I was astonished that she didn't want to accept she'd reversed into me, but since no damage had occurred It didn't trouble me. She wouldn't let it go. No way had she touched my car.

Had it not been for the tooting of other cars' horns, to get by, I expect we'd still be there arguing the toss. Maybe we'd have taken time out to buy a barbecue and make it a week-long event?

19. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Oh Emily! xxxx

emilystrange likes this.
  20. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Nasty experience Emily. Glad you're ok. Claim PTSD for not having done the marking!

emilystrange likes this.