1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

bags made in textiles good or bad

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by rosehill, Jun 18, 2011.

1. rosehill

rosehill New commenter

one of my collegues was observed last week and told that making bags in textiles is outdating and no good. Despite CAD CAM being used and design work on them etc.. yet no ideas given on what things she should be making. Any one have any comments !!!

2. rosehill

rosehill New commenter

one of my collegues was observed last week and told that making bags in textiles is outdating and no good. Despite CAD CAM being used and design work on them etc.. yet no ideas given on what things she should be making. Any one have any comments !!!

3. How bizarre...I can see things like CD cases could be classed as 'out-dated' or perhaps frilly aprons. However, bags are still used today and so long as the style of bag appeals to the students making them I don't see what the problem is?!
    Yes bags aren't a particularly original project, but saying that there aren't really any projects that I have seen for any aspect of D&T that I see as particularly innovative or original. (My last school made bags with KS3 and my current school also makes bags.)
    In my opinion it's how well they are executed that counts, and more importantly do the students WANT to make them and WANT to take them home. If the answer is yes, does anything else matter?

4. I do bags with year 10 as it is actually a controlled assessment task where you recycle stuff (OCR). With year 7 we use a cheap calico bag open it up and then add a pocket in the style of Kandinsky – spraying, stencilling, adding buttons and stitching black lines to represent the strings he portrays. Both projects are enjoyed by the students and the bags are regularly seen around school. After all we all use bags and there will always be a need for them especially as we are trying not use plastic! It is the same with cushions I’m sure. project done again and again but there will always be a need for cushions and there is a good scope for variety here. Year 9s are enjoying my 3D monster project - here I really try to get them to problem solve themselves as they first work as a pair making my monster as a mock up and then use this knowledge to make their own.

5. We run a Recycling Bag Project with Year 9's which we introduced last year and they love it. They bring in old jeans. jumpers, necklaces, chains, etc. It allows them to be quite creative with the materials they bring in and the students have completly different outcomes and allows for individuality too. As long as the product is contemporary I don't see how it could be outdated.

6. rosehill

rosehill New commenter

thankyou for these comments. I asked students on Friday as I teach one group textiles and my class said they really like the project and making it. They are making them for all different people from Dads, Mums and even one boy making one for his Nannie for her belly dancing class. I will pass on comments to Head of Textiles as I feel it will help reassure her. Thanks again.

7. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

I made small handbags and purses with Yr 4s.We made the felt first.They were fantastic and the kids(Yr6 now) still talk about them.You could re-cycle woollen charity shop jumpers and embellish them. Just a thought in case you would like to try something different.I've been felting today with a felt artist.