1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baffling

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Jul 3, 2020.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53276717

Boris Johnson says recreational cricket can't resume because of 'teas and dressing room' risk

Recreational cricket is not yet safe to play because of issues surrounding "communal teas and dressing rooms", says Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

Last month, Johnson said grassroots cricket could not return because the ball is a "natural vector of disease".

That came despite allowing other sports like tennis and basketball, to resume following the coronavirus lockdown.

Speaking on LBC Radio on Friday, Johnson said the risk is "not so much the ball".

"There are reasons. These debates have gone round and round," he said.

"There are various other considerations. The longer answer which I think probably [chief medical officer] Chris Whitty would give, if he were here, about cricket - the risk is not so much the ball, although that may be a factor.

"It's the teas, it's the changing rooms and so on and so forth. There are other factors involved that generate proximity which you might not get in a game of tennis."

Former England captain Michael Vaughan said Johnson's explanation was "utter garbage".

"You don't NEED dressing rooms. You don't need TEA @BorisJohnson," he said on Twitter.

colpee, EmanuelShadrack and ajrowing like this.
  2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I think he must have got hit by a hard ball in the goolies when young.

This is Johnson's revenge!

3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Maybe Johnson got hit by a cricket ball at Eton.

Edit: Chelsea had the same idea and just beat me to it.

ajrowing and chelsea2 like this.
  4. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Or maybe he thinks we've suffered enough and we shouldn't have to put up with cricket too?
    (Ducks)

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I liked Michael Vaughan's response when asked if he had any advice for the government

"Don't be muppets" :D

colpee, agathamorse, nizebaby and 5 others like this.
  6. modelmaker

I expect he was at the eaten an arrow match when that happened and was in so much pain he ended up going hungry.

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Guidance on cricket to appear in the next few days, with a view to matches restarting next weekend, according to this evening's press briefing.

8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

The reasons are obvious.

9. modelmaker

They don't appear to be obvious to Michael Vaughan, who I suspect has played more cricket than either you or I. Why allow basketball, a game that require players to use changing rooms and would be pointless if the players had to observe social distancing measures, but not cricket?

agathamorse likes this.
  10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

You cannot play tennis without strawberries and cream!

Pomza, EmanuelShadrack and ajrowing like this.
  11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Duration, lavatories, 9 of the players are sitting around not participating.

12. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

:eek:

Duckworth Lewis, you mean

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You could catch Covid during a game of cricket and be over it before stumps!

14. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Easy to answer if you remember that Johnson actually isn't in charge and knows diddly-squat about anything. Cummings doesn't like cricket for some reason (thinks it posh and voters in ex-Red Wall seats don't care?) so told Johnson to ban it.

15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Another U-turn....
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53276717
    Boris Johnson says recreational cricket can resume from 11 July

Recreational cricket is set to resume from Saturday, 11 July, says Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

Johnson had previously said on Friday that it was not yet safe to play the game at grassroots level because of issues with "teas and dressing rooms".

However, in a later briefing, he said the government would publish guidelines to help clubs and players prepare for the sport's return.

Chief medical officer Chris Whitty said it was "very safe" to resume playing.

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I hope there is a crop failure.

17. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

All the people who know about medicine and science seem to think cricket would be safer than opening schools-how many schools play cricket these days, and for how much of the year, I wonder?

Surely any school PE/lunch is far more dangerous, if there's so many more people with very little spae per person?

agathamorse likes this.
  18. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

You're an irrascible little so-and-so, aren't you?

racroesus likes this.
  19. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

You're a bad-tempered old so-and-so, aren't you?

racroesus likes this.
  20. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I'm not sure that every lockdown easement should be described as a U turn, should it?

The decisions are invariably binary, so it will always be that something forbidden on one day has suddenly become acceptable the next.