1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Badminton skirts!

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by Foneypharaoh, May 6, 2011.

1. This was on BBC -sports. Despite being a bit of a sexist pig I found myself shocked beyond shocked! This is 2011 and the 'suits' in charge of badminton have really lost the plot here. I had to check the date, thinking it must be April 1st!
    I'm not for one for bad language but this a load of *******, ****, *****, antediluvian *******s!

Scottish badminton player Imogen Bankier is maintaining her fight against new rules forcing female players to wear skirts or dresses. The Badminton World Federation has hit back at critics and said it is not designed to glamorise the sport. But Commonwealth Games doubles quarter-finalist Bankier stated: "It is a silly rule and it is unnecessary. "I don't think women in sport should be told what they can and can't wear when men aren't told the same thing." The BWF said it is a drive to improve the presentation of players at major tournaments. And it added that it does not want to discriminate against religious beliefs and has pointed out that shorts or tracksuit bottoms can still be worn under skirts. Nevertheless, the world governing body delayed the implementation of the rules by a month until 1 June in order to clarify their reasoning. Continue reading the main story I have an idea for how I am going to combat it, but I'll keep it a secret for now Imogen Bankier "In badminton, we have always had a choice of wearing a skirt or shorts and I don't see why that has to change," said Glasgow-based Bankier, who is ranked 20th in world mixed doubles with partner Chris Adcock. "I understand what they are trying to do - make it more appealing to spectators and the media. "But I don't think women wearing skirts is going to make it more aesthetically pleasing. "If people want to see women in skirts they will go elsewhere - they won't go to watch badminton. "Apparently, there will be a fine for every time you walk on court in shorts - so maybe they are just trying to make a bit of money. "I have an idea for how I am going to combat it, but I'll keep it a secret for now." Deputy president Paisan Rangsikitpho has defended the rule change, believing it is important for the image of the game. "It has never been the intention of the BWF to portray women as sexual objects and nor is that what we are doing," he said. "We need to be able to differentiate the women's game and the ruling is part of a larger campaign to enhance the presentation profile of the sport. "This is to help attract a wider target group amongst both younger and older people - and amongst both women and men - where an aesthetic and stylish presentation of the players is certainly an important factor."
    The Head of this badders association is clearly a bigger pervert than me - and that's going some, I can tell you...

2. Is there a rule re skirts for female tennis players?

3. Navratilova wore shorts a lot - but that doesn't really answer your question does it?
    I don't think there is - and we are only a second away from googling an answer!........
    So, I did. Not obliged to wear skirts or dresses.
    So badders big boss is a perv - has mirrors on his toe caps and all sorts.....

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

or even this:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-13362586
    We have a similar policy for our Year 6: girls can wear either long trousers or a skirt, boys HAVE to wear long trousers all year round despite temps getting intot the mid 40's by the end of the summer term.
    Boys in lower year groups can wear short trousers.

6. Most badminton and tennis skirts have those legging type shorts attached, so what's the problem?

7. The problem is that some women players want to wear shorts and they are not allowed to.
    No offence giggirl, but are you a girl?

8. Both idiotic!
    Wear longer skirts or go home, and 'yes' to shorts in the summer (or winter if he likes his 'monkeys' frozen...)
    Head of KS3 at our place has announced shorts for all if they wish - tailored, of course.
    6th form (who not wear uniform) wear shorts in hot weather too.
    Only KS4 to go.....

9. I wish I were still a 'girl', an ageing lady best describes me!! In my youth I HATED wearing a PE skirts, so much so that I didn't!! I used to play hockey in my black athletics shorts and the school top :) However the style of the skirts nowadays seem to be a perfect compromise, they are a pair of shorts with a skirt over the top and are very comfortable. There will always be someone who is going to kick against rules and regulations; I was one of them.

10. Woah! I hoped my reply was a light hearted one.
    I didn't say I was a rebel, I was a teenager at school not a professional sportswoman, all I said was I totally understand why some female badminton/tennis/netball/hockey players don't want to wear a skirt when they feel shorts are more comfortable. The sports fashion industry have obviously taken this on board and it is now possible to wear the shorts/skirt type as a 'compromise'. Had such an item been around 35-40 years ago I may have been happy wearing it.
    I also didn't say it was alright for me, I was a stroppy young girl who had to wear a skirt at college or I would haven't been able to be in the teams. I learnt that there were consequences to me actions....

11. Ooops 'my' actions.

12. 'me' actions is fine!