1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

badgers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Jun 20, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I've just been woken up by one. My brum house is near a railway embankment and park. How common are suburban badgers?

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Like foxes, they are moving into the urban environment where they are actually safer. I only ever see dead ones on the roads around here.

3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I think the foxes down my way have always been here. I'd be interested to know if the same were true of badgers. Brum has many beautiful green areas. I am fortunate to live (some of the time) in one of them.

What I am saying is that there are many places in which badgers and foxes have always lived.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Blazer minor lives in North Brum. Woodland at the back of their house and the Badgers have tunnelled under the fence and regularly trash his garden.

In the days when I worked and went out early I would often see one running along the street.

nizebaby likes this.
  5. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

Living at the seaside I'd never seen a badger but having moved inland (Midlands) there is one that scurries around at 10:00 pm most nights and can be seen on the pavements. My sister has badgers that come into her garden.

6. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

????
    :confused:

I am assuming that you live urbanely.

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Je ne comprends pas.

Burndenpark and nomad like this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I.e., Courteous and refined in manner??

Burndenpark and nizebaby like this.
  9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Very urbane, moi. Urbane as you like.

My fence is all to bnggery. Thank you mr brock.

I don't entirely believe this stuff about animals moving into towns. Where my house is, I expect there have always been foxes

nomad likes this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Oh they do. They are quite organised too. Generally they won't need a large truck as they don't have much furniture in the sett. Once they move into a town semi they can spread themselves about a bit.

[​IMG]

Foxes tend to have more stuff when they move into towns.

[​IMG]

11. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

I've never seen so many dead badgers on the roadsides. I have a sneaky feeling, they have been poisoned and then dumped there to make it look like roadkill.

chelsea2 likes this.
  12. Sally006

Sally006 Occasional commenter

No doubt a farmer doing an illegal cull. I have such a major issue with all that. I accept farmers have an issue with TB infected cattle but after listening to Simon King, Lord Attenborough and Brian May, the scientific evidence does not support badger culling being effective. So many myths about foxes being vermin, badgers spreading TB. The same type of myths wiped out the wolf. WE are encroaching in THEIR habitat- not the other way round. I’d dread to imagine what is left if Britain’s natural woodland no longer having these beautiful creatures.

13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'm not a big fan of adulating cutesy furry muzzled beasties just because they are cutesie and furry muzzled.
    I prefer science and empirical long term studies of ecology.
    The idea of seeing a fox in my garden because the building of my house encroached on its habitat is ludicrous.
    What did the foxes do during the protracted buiding process? Hang about down the road until it was finished and then come back to resentfully inspect the garden on completion?

14. Sally006

Sally006 Occasional commenter

You misunderstand me. No, of course the Fox wasn’t lying in wait for your house to be built. Now who is being ludicrous? As human populations expand, woodland diminishes, or do your ecological scientific studies suggest that humans are not primarily responsible for decline in woodland habitats? As their natural habitat diminishes, so do their sources of food. Consequence - they come into towns to find easy sources of food. India has a similar problem with leopards in villages and Brazil with the jaguar attacking cattle. This is clearly due to deforestation and urban expansion.

cissy3 likes this.
  15. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Oddly enough, bovine TB isn't spread by things which aren't actually err bovine. Badgers contract TB from cow urine rather than vice versa.
    You will hear 'evidence' that TB is spread by badgers urinating in fields. This 'evidence' is provided by people who know zilch about badgers and their elimination habits.

Burndenpark and Sally006 like this.
  16. Burndenpark

I was trying to avoid repetition of " the urban environment" and while I was aware of the "Courteous and refined in manner" (which I'm sure is how ITB lives :)) I had thought it might still be more closely linked to its origin.

That's it- no more trying to be clever- I'll stick to what I'm good at- inane comments.

17. Burndenpark

I'll try again...

If you only see dead ones and if you live in an "urban environment" does that prove they are safer? I'd have thought the opposite...

Maybe it's like the Elephant's graveyard- and they only go to the big cities to die?