1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

**********? Bad Tempered Ladybird

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by carlabooth, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Hi, Sparkle I am making a storytable to go with the story The Bad Tempered Ladybird (week after next) and wondered if you could make a story sequencing set as you have for other books.
    Activity Plan is below :)

Activity : The Bad Tempered Ladybird? Interactive Story

Interactive story-making helps to provide a context for communication, language and literacy. When engaging children in ?interactive story-making? you can give particular attention to:
    ? providing opportunities for children to communicate thoughts, ideas and feelings and build up relationships with adults and each other.
    ? give opportunities for linking language with physical movement.
    ? providing time and opportunities to develop spoken language through conversations between children and adults, both one-one, in small groups and as a whole class. (Hendy, 2001)
    1. Read the story of the Bad-Tempered Ladybird by Eric Carle. Discuss what could make the ladybird bad-tempered? Discuss what makes the children bad-tempered. Draw happy and sad faces on paper plates. Make a list of things that make them happy and things that make them cross. Put the paper plate faces under the appropriate lists.
    2. Work with the children to retell the story. Involve children giving them opportunity to build the story tray with the props. Listen to their ideas and interpretations and accept their ideas place the storybook and the non-fiction book with the tray.
    3. Make the story table accessible for as long as the children show an interest. Give children plenty of opportunities for child initiated story-telling as well as adult support sessions.

Whole Class story/discussion and then small groups

Response to story ? interaction with the text. Which children choose to read this story as an independent activity?

Can the children, Listen, join in, re-enact story. This will become an independent activity.

Key Vocabulary/Questions

What would make a ladybird bad tempered?
    It was hungry ? what do ladybirds eat?
    It was lonely ? are there different types of ladybird?
    It was tired ? do ladybirds sleep?

How many?
    How do you know?
    Adult to provide guidance eg. ?Is it the same??

Ask children to show you how many animals does the ladybird meet- show them the pictures or objects so they can check answers

Ask ?What do you think might happen next?? ?Why??
    Adult Role/ Adapting the activity for individual children
    Adult as initiator to read ? to encourage conversation, questions & participation.

Give children time to answer. Be prepared for silences to give them thinking time. Take the beginning slowly. Try not to push the story forward yourself ? this makes it your story not the children?s. Be confident in the children?s storytelling abilities.

Listen carefully to what is being said, observe body language. Show genuine interest. Invite children to elaborate. Offer your own experiences. Make suggestions and use encouragement to further thinking. Ask open questions and offer an alternative viewpoint
    Main Learning Intentions
    PSE 5 Show an awareness of feelings of others
    PSE 7 Play co-operatively within a small group
    PSE 9 Understand the need to consider others
    PSE 13 Show a willingness to select activities and resources
    CLL2 Use story within play and discussion situations
    CLL4 Can make up own stories with a little support
    CLL6 Can maintain an idea or theme throughout a conversation
    CLL8 Is able to sequence a series of events
    CLL 9 Can hear sounds in familiar words and links some sounds to letters
    CLL10 Can identify some familiar letters.
    CLL 11 Is beginning to recognise familiar letters in different words
    CLL13 Is able to recall the main characters in a story. Can relate the main events of a story in correct sequence
    CLL 14 Is aware of a wide variety of prints within own environment
    CLL15 Is able to interpret illustrations and relate them to the text
    CLL16 Can discuss stories, identifying main characters, predicting what could happen next
    M2 Count reliably ladybirds and number of spots. Count animals in the story.
    M3 Match numeral to set
    M6 Understands that one number is more than another
    M12 Use everyday words to describe the movement of the hands on the clock.
    M9 Read the numbers on the clock, Beginning to use the vocabulary of time. Can use comparative language
    KU7 Is aware of technology around them
    KU 8 is beginning to understand that past events can affect the present and future. Is able to sequence events.
    C3 Creates simple representations of events
    Resources
    The Bad-Tempered Ladybird by Eric Carle ? Are you a ladybird?
    Large Tray/Tuff Spot
    Environmental features (pebbles, fake grass, shells, leaves e.t.c)
    Large Leaf (Au Natural)
    Aphids (photo?s stuck on the leaf)
    Clock (moveable hands)
    X2 Ladybirds
    Wasp ? Beetle ? Praying mantis ? Sparrow ? Lobster ? Skunk ?Snake ?Hyena ?Gorilla ?Rhinoceros ? Elephant ?Whale (Ebay)
    Bibliography
    Hendy, L. (2001). Interactive Story Making . Retrieved June, 2006 from www.foundation-stage.info: http://www.foundation-stage.info/newfsf/articles/members/...

2. hi sparkle
    I asked for some bad tempered ladybird resources in january so after seeing this post wondered when they were going to be ready

thanks in hoping tigergirl

3. I'm astounded carla! Do you really write all that stuff on an activity plan? Is that just for focus activities or for them all, every day? I'm feeling very sorry for you if you do, so please put me out of my misery.

4. I'm impressed with your planning carla!

I will see what I can do... but it depends on artwork etc etc and copyright. I can't promise to make it unfortunately!

SB:)

5. It's a focus plan and we do around 4 per week along with a floor plan (we work in a community centre, so floor plan helps with taking out and putting away) I enjoy planning (sad I know) so it's no hardship x

6. I also made loads of Activity Plans for all our Free Play Activities e.g. lego, duplo zoo, wooden blocks, farm etc. with many ideas for adapting the activities and we just pull those out when we use them... I couldn't do half of our stuff without ********** though !!! xxx

7. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

I always find your plans similar to those that come in books such as the scolastic Carla...........have you considered that you could publish your own? I think you should try, potential for making lots of money.